we hide when it hot in this part of country ?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

I see all are hiding and no posting ,
our puters are fried from the heat
102° today and believe it or not its sprinkling.
only in OKLAHOMA.
we having been moving last few months ,
trying to move as many plants as i can
so weather can kill them LOL.
We down sized
from big ugly house on hill to trailer and little lot .
so far i am pleased, less house work
more time to garden and read .
If it would cool off so i cold plant would be nice
We still live in same city,just moved about 2 miles
south of old place

Thumbnail by tazzy
Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

tazzy, it has been so long since we have had any rain here, that my yard is full of leaves like after the first frost. What the heat hasnt killed the hot wind has. I just cant afford to water everything. John

John
The back pad of trailer has a foot of dead leaves already ,
i have been racking and adding them to new bed for compost .
Thursday night i took off for Tulsa Garden Centers Daylilly Club meeting ,
And at 6 PM it was 107°coming home at 9 PM
via west Tulsa( Berry Hill ) i got in to wind gust of 60 mile a hour my van was all over the road.
scary and deadly weather for us tough Oklahoman's

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Hopefully you will get some heat relief soon. It was 104 here this afternoon and within the last hour the temperature has dropped from 103 to 78 and it's storming. :)

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Ditto on the temp dropping this afternoon. Down to 80* and had a nice shower. We are extremely dry right where we live.
Tazzy, We downsized tremendously about 6 o r7 years ago, Moved from a 2 story, with finished attic & basement finished enough that the TV room was down there & thats about the only thing I miss.
Moved into old Air Force housing built on a slab. Really started gardening here, have a lots of room for it. Most of the front is done & looks pretty nice most of the time. Still have one side to finish, but just to hot to do much.
The back yard, which is large is full of bermuda grass, which is gradually taking over most of the yard. It needs to be sprayed & killed, which was my goal this summer, but never got that far. Possibly after the weather cools down, I may be able to do that. The heat has bothered me more this summer than ever before.
Ah, well, I'm still perculating & enjoying life and what gardening I can get done while it is cool.

I was born in Parsons Kansas you can grow a stick in that soil.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Hot and dry here in central MO most of the time. 3 digit temps in the afternoons and sometimes in late mornings. We did get about 1/3 inch of rain last night. First in a long time. Like most of the gardeners in the midwest we can't be doing a lot of watering. The water tables are down after nearly 4 years of drought conditions in the summer. We seem to do ok in early spring, but summers have been killers.

I could never prespire until last summer and the heat has bothered me more these past 2 summers than any I can remember. I know that is strange.

Tazzy, all the iris you gave me are doing well. Iris is something I will water if they look too dry. Them and hostas.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

One thing nice about lake living. I pump all my waterinbg needs out of the lake. but with the heat it has not done a whole lot of good except for the impatient beds. We have about 300 of them in beds and pots. My hosta do not require a terrible lot of water. That is something that fools most people. They look at them and think of jungle type house plants and that they are not. Matter of fact you can overwater a hosta. Have acollection of Heuchera (coral bells) also and this heat has been a real bad thing. Some heuchera were originally native to high mounbtain areas and it must be that in those types with that linage cannot cut our heat. Other types with lowland parentage like Palace Purple go right through the heat unbothered. Have a couple of Purple Palace that produced very large perfect leaves this year. Going to take one to the leaf show at the Mo State Fair Wednesday,along with 5 other plant leaves. Maybe pick up another ribbon.

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

Smart aleck!!! LOL

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

It's been so dry here that my fish are getting mighty thirsty. John

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Tazzy, my boss was born and raised in Parsons. We FINALLY got a little rain last night, haven't check the rain gauge, but I woke during the night a few timesto light thunder and the sound of rain! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, wanted to sleep in. Wow, I didn't know there was a leaf exhibit! Hope you bring home some ribbons, OZ!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

John, was so dry here the trees were whistling for the dogs!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Aunt B....that's pretty dry!

Tazzy for your sake and everyone elses....I sure hope it cools off (95* sounds good right now) a bit really soon and some nice long showers would certainly be welcome. I water everyday and my water bill would scare you all to death.

you can save dish water and bath water for flowers ,a little soap is good for them .
at one house i ran washing machine drain hose out to a bed of my flowers when we had watering ban.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Tazzy, that is what our ancestors did to water the gardens. And they didn't have insecticide resistant insects back then. The soap removes the potective coating on the bugs and they then drown in the water. I do it as much as I can.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

We got rain!!! Woooohooooo!!!!! It started clouding up around 7:00 last night and we had the most wonderful storm. At last count I think we ended up with a little less than an inch. What a glorious day!!! Anyone else get lucky?

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Rain gauge shows 2". Around up to 3". We are so thankful for this. Must get busy promised DGG a chocolate meringue pie, crust is done but need to finish shortly as she will be by to collect it.

we got about inch and half .
Thank you GOD .
went over rip out some more plants at
the old house this morning .
happy dance.

Thumbnail by tazzy
Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

I am sooo jealous, we got the wind, thunder and lightning, but not a drop of ----------- i forgot what word to use. John

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

John it did not make it here either. Looking at another week of 100 plus and no rain.
Tazzy it has been so dry only two of my day-lilies bloomed. Foliage had died back on all.

most of mine croked at the old house / and they had shade from a foot of crab grass .LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yeah!!! We got rain again last night! I don't have a guage here, but it sure sounded nice! I love to fall asleep to the sound of a nice soft rain with the rumble of thunder in the background!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Just bumbling around Dave's getting my bearings again. Hi folks.
Tazzy, you gave up your wonderful gardens? Wow! Still having less housework to do in a smaller place is a benefit hard to measure.

Watching WC and see that El Paso is up for possible flash flooding again today. WE've had showers all around my valley but only sprinkles within it.
I mean just a few miles away they got an inch. we got six drops. ;-(

I have iris to get transplanted today. dug them out of son's way as he was removing a volunteer scab tree from the border. they were so buried in blow sand they didn't bloom this year anyway... need to go live somewhere else... now where ?????

Our temps have mellowed, a benefit of the monsoon (moisture from Mexico) even tho the rains haven't actually fallen on my land. It make being outside possible when the temps are only in the mid nineties. So I can be in my garden for longer than just to move the sprinkler.
Have a good day all. ~Blooms

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Temps are still in the upper 80s here. Like others, there is plenty of rain all around us but little if any here on our land. Maybe a sprinkle or so for a few minutes then just hot and mugg y again.

I did go out in the late afternoon/evening yesterday and cut off some 5' -7' tall weeds. I used the big loppers and cut some of them into shorter pieces so that the lawn mower can cut them up better. The Lambs Quarters looked more like small well filled out trees than weeds. At least you can see where I spend 30 min when I come back in for a rest period.

I'm giving up some beds too. Mostly trying to combine beds so it will be easier for those who mow. A couple years ago I went out and marked a lot of duplicate daylilies and gave them away. Something like 20+ large clumps, It took his small car trunk with the lid tied down and our Caravan van to haul them all to his house. There he divided them to give some to his morhter, etc. I still have some duplicates but this is not the summer for transplanting if it can be avoided.

not a guarders summer , in most of USA this year hot and no rain.Back up in upper 90° again +high humidity
Only the Strong will survive and that goes for people too.

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

Tazzy, my rain guage said that WE got 2" of RAIN last evening. WHOOOPEEE.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm glad some of you down that way are getting a little relief. We're supposed to get back up to 97 with index of 107 by Friday... uggg. Amazing we can keep anything alive.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We got rain a few days ago when the storms rolled thru and it also knocked out our phone line. Have just now got it back and am just now catching up with everything on here. It has been cool all week and just started heating up today.

back up to 102 today , pant ! pant!

Thumbnail by tazzy
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That picture is precious, Tazzy. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Tazzy, that pic is priceless. On the other hand maybe you could make a pricey penny from it. Check out calendars.

Got rain today and in the mid 70°.
maybe i can get some serious planting done .
It was over 100³ all last week.
I feel good now if can get old house sold ,
i will be in a state of peace .

Thumbnail by tazzy
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love the picture tazzy!!!

I love the kitty pictures .
keep all I find to share LOL
plus my own two darling have been camera shy since the move

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

changing homes makes kittys nervous. no doubt. sometimes they find a 'safe' spot and hide.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I need to get out the camera and take pictures of our kitties just to have them. The old one we buried a few weeks ago probably hadn't had a picture taken of her that I can remember and she was about 15 years old. She might be in one but it would have been by accident. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.