Just Call Me "LeadFoot"

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last Thursday I achieved a moving violation, scored a full 4 points, in fact.

I confess. I was hopelessly guilty. Caught in the act, I was speeding. I had just gotten off from work, my foot heavy with the remnants of the day's servitude, my judgement temporarily clouded by the desire to get home, throw off the "uniform" of my daily bondage, and just relax a bit. So there I was cruising freely and with momentary abandon and wanton disreguard for the rules I had sworn to obey. Lucky for me and for all my hapless fellow drivers on the road that day, all aparently oblivious to the presence of a rougue speeder among them, an officer was there to flag me down, wave me in from the track, formally rebuke me, and admonish me to "please drive more safely in the future, Mam" lest I should be relieved of my driving priveledges.

I suppose it was also lucky that some 60 percent of all the people I know were also there that day to witness me head held appropriately low, humbly receiving my citation along with a swift "talking to"; otherwise, how would they have known to chide me relentlessly for my brief descent into lawlessness and tag me with such adorable pet names as "Speedy" and "LeadFoot"?

I should also add that the nice officer was kind enough to inform me of my right to avail myself of the court system and plead my case before a judge. I opted instead to exercise my right to remain silent for I knew that there was just no excuse for my behavior that day. About the only excuse I could think of was "temporary insanity". I mean, I just don't know what I was thinking. How else could I possibly explain my behavior when I peeled out of the parking lot and accelerated to a whole 21mph on that straight section of road with no pedestrians. Yep, alas, I am guilty. Take me to jail.

In case you should some day be so unlucky as to find YOURSELF sharing a road with me, you will no doubt be happy to know that I am working very hard these days to curb my desire to let loose at the end of a hard day's work; trying to reel in my need for speed; and most of all working to "drive more safely". (Oh, and on that section of road, I'm absolutely keeping it down to the MUCH safer 15mph) ;D

This message was edited Aug 13, 2006 12:13 PM

This thread has 22 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!