cuttings from sweet potato vine

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Wondering if I took cuttings from my sweet potato vines, assuming they can root in water, then pot them in soil,would I be able to grow them in the house this upcoming winter? All feedback would be helpful!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

id say yes

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'd say Paul is right, I'd even go one further and suggest you check you sweet tater for tubers before tossing it for the winter as well.

Denver, CO

Roots extremely easily in water. I suggest as much sun to it as possible (during winter indoors) to keep it from getting lanky. Also some judicious pinching.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Absolutely to all the above. I took cuttings Monday and am rooting in water. I have four types. This is the first year I planted these in ground. They were so successful I loved it. In this area they may come back, if not, I have starts for next year. Good luck!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

i was pleasantly surprised this spring when i had sprouts of sweet potato vine coming up everywhere. maybe it was the mild winter.

Good, you give me hope. Before this year, I had always kept them in pots, boy did they swill the water. I am so happy with them in the ground. I was also amazed that my Monday cuttings had roots by Wednesday morning! pod

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

How do you start a sweet potato vine? I remember my grandmother had some in a hanging basket but I don't remember how it got started. They have such beautiful foliage Thank you.

In the spring many greeneries have starter pots of this vine. Once you acquire one, you will never need to look for another. There are many different types and colors. Most will develop "tater tubers" in the pot and cuttings are easily taken to root in water. What color/type was your Grandmothers'? My Mom used to start a sweet potato for an inexpensive home grown house plant...

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

All I remember is that it hung outside on the porch. We lived in California and I was 6 or so. I thought I remember seeing a potato cut in half and toothpicks sticking out on three sides of the potato and it sat in a glass of water. Does that work or am I thinking of another kind of plant? Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that it what my Mom used to do. I don't remember exactly but am told this may be what it looked like. This is called "Ladyfinger". I bought this one last year and keep it in a pot. Haven't tried cuttings as it comes back from roots.

Thumbnail by podster
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Let me ask this. Can you cut a vine back and lift the tuber to overwinter or would it be better to just start a few cuttings? I wonder how difficult it would be to keep the tuber from rotting. I have two in French pots hanging on the side of my garage. They never get too big as it is mostly shade. I think they may get about two hours of sun a day. If I broiught the pots in for the winter, would I traet it as a house plant?

I don't know if they would get enough light in the winter. They may shed leaves. If you store the tubers, I would think to keep them fairly dry. My Mn. Mom used to store begonia tubers in peat in the basement. They always kept o.k. Maybe these would do the same. Perhaps someone from up North can help out on this question.

What are French pots?

On starting from a sweet potato, I don't remember my Mom cutting hers. Toothpicks, yes. And her choice of vase was a brown B&M bean jar. Odd what sticks in a childs memory. I have been told that most of the store tubers won't sprout. We get fresh from the field sweet taters here but I have not tried to grow one yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.