Part 3-Carol's Dahlias for year 2006

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Decided to start another thread for more of my dahlia pictures.
This picture is 'Envy'.
It is huge!
Unfortunately, I didn't get it totally staked up properly, so it is more or less laying on the ground. I don't know if you can see it, but my hand is holding up the bloom.
Next year, need to get things staked up better...........
Enjoy!!!

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I think this is 'Buddy', thanks to grannymarsh.
But if I am wrong, just let me know. Is a very nice red one.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ta Da...................
Don, this one is for you...................
By you.....................

This, guys, is 'BAW' (known as Big Arse White) from DrDon this past year. It finally bloomed. Have another plant but is much slower for some reason.
It is a big white bloom, that is for sure.
Thanks, Don, hope you come around soon to see all your work, plus to show off our dahlias we sent you..........................

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Maarn'
Just for you, Joann.
It finally bloomed. Was wondering if it would even grow. The eye wasn't too good.
But here it is.
The color isn't good in the picture. Was early this morning, but if I take it later, it will be shaded later so.............
But has such a nice color to it.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

A much better picture of 'Peaches' this time. It shows the actual coloring.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Skipley Spot of Gold'
Is an interesting one.
The color is such a mix of orange, pink, purple, etc.
Is quite a tall, very straight plant.
Had trouble taking a picture of it since it is so tall.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Carol! I love that Skipley Spot of Gold and you've got a perfect one there.

Nice to see Maarn- a really pretty orange as Joann promised.

I had to yell at BAW here yesterday to 'step on it' it has quite a few buds but they're LABs instead of BABs LOL.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL
Don had warned us that it was slow but..............
But part of my excuse is I planted it late tho it didn't have an eye for such a long time.
That darn 'BAW' must like the south better than the NW, LOL

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Carol, Peaches even will look brighter as the cooler fall days arrive.

I need to get water going again out in my dahlia patch. I discovered I have Snickerdoodle still. That was a pleasant surprise.

Celebrated my Katy's bday last night even though it is today as she and her hubby took off to the beach for a couple of days. I used red as my theme and Contessa looked just perfect for the table centerpiece. I also had some Fire Magic which is really beautiful this year.

Speaking of Maarn, do you think if I took a flower to the paint store they could match the color of Maarn? I want to paint my second bathroom the color of Maarn.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is 'Bliss' taken in the morning. A nice pretty color tho need to move it to a better place so I can see it since it is so short.

Joann, 'Maarn' would be quite a color. You can try it. I would love to be there to see the clerk's face as to matching the color, LOL I think it would be a great bright sunny color for a bathroom. Are you talking about the one near the dining room?
As for red theme, I just love reds. Always have and it was my dad's favorite color too. They took him away in his favorite red shirt that day he died, my mom told me.

Is a great day to work outside. Not too hot and not too cool. Just right! So am going back out there.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Bliss survived here too, Carol, I didn't what would make it through the culling process here but Bliss is a cutie.

It is the bathroom that is right by the back door. Both my bathrooms are near the dining relatively speaking. Right now it is blue on the bottom and white on the top with a outhouse wallpaper border separating the colors.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, I remember that one. Just wondered.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Carol! I especially love the Envy! Did you disbud to get it that big? I have been adding bloom fertilizer all season, and my Lavender Ruffles was only 7 inches a flower, though rated at 12". Hope to upload the pictures soon as I get a few more blooms.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lenjo, What does "outhouse wallpaper" look like exactly?

Bliss is one of my first and therefore favorite waterlilies. Good stems, lots of blooms. Mine were always 4 ft tall, but this year I put it in a different bed and it's been slow and short, not even close to blooming yet.

Carol I have to get you a Taratahi Ruby- just glowing red and such a nice waterlily shape. Please take it in honor of your dad.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie,
I have that 'Taratahi Ruby'. See my last thread. Yes, it is a beautiful color. So thanks so much for the very nice offer tho. You are a sweetie to think of my dad!

I have seen Joann's bathroom and I can't remember the outhouse wallpaper, LOL

So 'Bliss' is to get to 4', huh? Well, not mine. It is only like 2 1/2' tall. But the spot it is in may not be enough water. I need to revamp my watering system in some areas next year. I have been using the 1/4" soaker tubing and I don't think it puts out enough water for some plants.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay, so you have Taratahi Ruby. How about an Eastern Echo after Mone might finally get one of the real ones from me LOLOL! Three strikes and I'm out, Mone! It's another wondeful red, although it's supposed to be variegated, mine isn't. It might have been mislabelled by the dahlia association way back when I got it. I might have one plant of it for sure and one lately planted ( found a tuber in the basement a few weeks ago) but it's growing, and I swear I broke off every main bud trying to disbud the big plant too early. ARGH.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, that sure looks like a very nice bloom. Sure, I would love that one then.
A varigated red one? That would be nice. Haven't seen a red one yet. Only like pink and purple bi-color ones.
You need to be nicer to plants, Annie, LOL Quit picking at them, hehe

Delhi, IA

My choices are Skipley Spot of Gold and Peaches. Beauties for sure.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Somebody like red :) Reds look great there.
Spot of Gold looks nice also.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Sorry, Annie, I just got back to this, the outhouse wallpaper is just a little border with outhouses and trees and birds etc in it. It actually is kind of cute.

Chicago, IL

Red, red, red. I am going to get some red Dahlias - especially the dark red ones- next spring.
Pretty, Carol. :-)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have Skywalker, Smarty Pants, and oh you would love Fire Magic. It is a reddish with undertones of orange but mostly red. Annie's Contessa is beautiful too, a waterlilly. I used to have Ripples and Rip City both almost burgundy.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, I do have a good plant of 'Hillcrest Kismet'!!!
Here is the first bloom, tho it is almost gone.
But it sure is a pretty bloom. Can't wait for more blooms to show up.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Got a big problem.
This is to be 'Firepot' but as you can really see it isn't!
It came from the Whatcom Dahlia Society tuber sale this past spring. I have had several that aren't what they should be. Am not too keen on their stuff really now with the mix up of the names and flowers.

So what is this guy??? Please tell me???

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I know, I know, a repeat!
But they are so pretty.
From Mone, that gorgeous 'Camano Phantom' again!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Does anyone know the name of this one?
Was a no namer.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

A combo of several dahlias together.
I am the crammer, remember?

On the left is 'Taratahi Ruby', then 'Fire Magic', and 'Jura'.
A strange color mix but I love them anyways!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

A very nice red dahlia.
'Puget Sparkle'

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is the true looking 'Hawaii' finally!
The weather has cooled down so I think the real show of the true colors are coming along on 'Hawaii' and the other dahlias. I like it much better now!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is a very late comer.
It hasn't been the happiest in its home. Am not sure on whether to move it or what.
But this is 'Hy Mallow'.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hillcrest Kimset and Hawaii looks nice. Your 12.25 noid looks similar to my Finged Star - just a bit off I think.
Tarahiti Ruby still look nice. Alas your Hy Mallow is a bit darker than one I am trying to ID myself - nice though.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oooh- Hillcrest Kismet! I can't say how much I adore those colors. Nice flowers Carol. I like your little NOID red one posted at 1020. How big is it across?

Hawaii is beautiful- just love that hot pink on it.
Camano Phantom! How'd you get so many blooms? Pinching back like a madwoman? I have had one, just cut two more last night and they are still that deep maroonish purple. Great flower.

Your Taratahi Ruby looks perfect.
Enjoy all your beauties!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I never was to get 'Fringed Star' from anyone so....................
It is like 5-6" across? Got any ideas, Annie?

That 'Camano Phantom' is doing so well for being behind all the other taller ones. It does get sun but not as much as it should. No, I didn't pinch back hardly any this year. Didn't have time. So, yes, it is so neat to have so many blooms.

Chicago, IL

What a collection you have there, Carol. I am glad that I have added something to it, minor as it may be. :-)
Great looking, all of them.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, Mone, it sure isn't minor from you at all. I get to see your dahlia from my kitchen window and I just love it being mixed with some pinks and yellows (like from Annie) dahlias! Thanks a bunch.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, I need to come visit you and mark some of yours. I love your NOIDs. They are gorgeous. I have seen so many beautiful dahlias here that I know are not Swan Island. I guess I really need to expand my world beyond SI.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, guess you should start trading more, Joann, LOL But remember, you don't like dahlias anymore, you like roses, lol
But thanks.
Yes, you should come and visit me! I would love that!
I have gotten quite a few different dahlias from great traders here on DG this year besides the ones I have gotten from that dahlia soc. sale and the farmers market in Corvallis.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, dahlia lovers!
Thought I would include a picture from a wedding I went to this afternoon.
They had used this same dahlia all over the grounds (it was an outside wedding in Eugene). That color was gorgeous to use and the color of the dresses were the same. I thought it was neat that they used the dahlias for main flowers.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

oooh, my kind of wedding. Did they have the ribbons hanging the bucket of dahlias or what did the ribbon go to? Very pretty indeed!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

That pretty ribbon was the handle for the bucket hanging on a metal pole. Coming down the aisle all the way. Very cool, I thought.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.