Helenium for August color

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Heleniums are one of my favorite perennials for August blooms. I planted four last fall and all are in full bloom now. One thing I have learned is that they need some support. Next year, I will put tomato cages around them early in the year. This one is Coppelia, about 3' tall and a favorite.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is Helenium Zinbelstein. It is a little taller than Coppelia. Maybe 3.5' while Coppelia is about 3'.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2006 12:09 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Helenium Flammendes Katchen is my favorite. It is only about 2' tall.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Now you went and did it - here are mine

red/gold hybrid - mine is all gold. I do stake this one as it is over 6'

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This one is Helenium Red and Gold. The newer blooms show more red and then age to almost all yellow. It is about 3.5'. I would be interested in trading Heleniums with anyone who has other cultivers. I'm not sure if mine will be large enough to divide next spring but hope so.

Editted to say: Funny, we posted out Red and Gold at the same time. Mine does have a little red.

Susan

This message was edited Aug 12, 2006 12:19 PM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

mine has absolutely no red - pure yellow

Chelsey I stake also, it is 4'+

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I really like Chelsey. It look redder than any of mine.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It is mostly red

this is Mardis Gras - today, as it has beem flowering for a month and winding down. Shorter compact(for helenium) plants, lots of blends in it

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I do like your red one, I bought Indianasommer late that is red and may flower yet.

This is a new one- Double Trouble, doubled flowers, but really still kind of small

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I am going to try to find Chelsey . Here is a link to some information I found about it. some of the profits from it's sale go to the Red Cross.

http://www.plantspotters.com/renderer.do/menuId/55153/clearState/true/sf/55173/returnPage/55173/itemId/9452/realItemId/9452/pageId/55174/instanceId/55251/pId/9447/

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I've got all kinds of Plantspotter's plants LOL

This is Ruby Tuesday, another new one in it's first year. Small flowers, I think this will be great in a few years. The beauty of helenium is in it's masses of flowers not individuals.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Chelsey is really nice, Plantspotter's line is common around here.

This one is mixed up some, this is Morheim Beauty, but most likely had some red/gold hybrid mixed in or all of.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

How do you stake them?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have 6' rebar stakes I use and then tie them up in back. If they are in full all day sun they probably will do alright without any staking, but if they grow out to any sun then they need it.

I was also going to say I have some closer shots of mine in my images.

Athens, OH

Thanks for starting this thread. I am always looking for plants that the deer don't love (supposedly).
Looks like helenium are a possibility. I wil try some.

ROX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.