Need advice for outdoor potted plants

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi - I just moved to Atlanta from San Diego. I want to put some potted plants out on my balcony (which faces northeast and is shaded by several large deciduous trees). But I'm afraid that selecting plants that do well here might be a little more complicated than in San Diego, where it was always 70 degrees and sunny. Would anyone mind giving me a few recommendations? I'm not picky about the type of plants, I just want them to survive.

Thanks!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi newlocal.........since you mentioned the trees provide summer shade you might consider camellias and Japanese maples. Both are slow growing and both do well in pots.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi, newlocal. If you choose a Japanese maple, look for one meant for shade. I've been told there are 700 varieties of Japanese maples. Lots of people choose one for its color, and then find that it won't maintain that color in shade. Also, are you going to be bringing these plants in for the winter? I'm not very knowledgeable about whether J. maples do well indoors. Anybody else want to weigh in? By the by, if you are anywhere near Hastings nursery, you could ask someone there for assistance. They aren't cheap, but have an excellent reputation. Sheila

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

J. maples can be left outdoors without harm. A good point about them re. shade/sun.........although most do need shade. Suggest you research about the maples depending on what colors of foliage you want.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That is great to hear that they can survive the winter. And Hastings was a good tip, I'll definitely make a trip there. Thanks very much for both your input!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Cast Iron (Aspidistrus) plants do well either inside or out and like shade. For summer I have a dwarf peace lily, hosta and a coleus planter also geraniums and ornamental sweet potatoes.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi NewLocal - Hastings is a wonderful place - http://www.hastingsgardencenter.com/index.html - get on their email list...

They do have a link called e-specials: http://www.hastingsgardencenter.com/destination/e_specials.html and you have to print the page as a coupon but you can print it 'way reduced. Only take cash and leave your credit cards and checkbook at home!! They have not only fabulous plants, they have beautiful glazed pots and wonderful garden accessories, like Murano type glass bird baths about 8" wide to scatter throughout your woods... ($100 each). Plus they have a garden you can stroll through - shows you what some plants look like at maturity. I love/hate this place!

Ashe-Simpson Garden Center 4961 Peachtree Industrial is another place I really like - just a couple of miles down from Hastings. Unusual plants. Very healthy.

Sterling

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.