Gosh Darn Robins

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

For the past few years, I've been using chopped leaves as mulch in my flower gardens. They're great because they're free, they break down to improve the soil and the worms love them. The last couple of days, I've had 15-20 robins digging for worms in the mulch and throwing it out of the beds. I've swept my stone path twice today and it's almost covered up again. Ggggrrrrr....

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

I have started worm composting covering the area with landscaping fabric (just cause I had some) did the trick for me. Maybe some netting that doesn't displease the eye? I know how you feel though, the other day I saw robins eating my sasktoons, my sand cherries, blackberries and I though how nice (planned on sharing), and I thought about all the other lazy birds that gather round my feeder and what mooches they are......then.....OH MY GOD you dirty rotten ($%@)*% let go of my worm THE HORROR THE TERROR THE INHUMANITY....

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Fine netting of nearly any type, even fabrics that then are covered with more leaves and weighted down around the edges and at the corners will work. I know how you feel. Our ducks and chickens have really done in the worm population around here. Of course they have pretty well done in the grub, slug, etc. populations too. Not many insects in our yarden. Except blister beetles, stink bugs, etc. that nothing will eat.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Buy some netting and give thanks that you have enough ecology in your area to support the robins (remember Silent Spring?). They are just doing what they were created to do. The robins are paying you a compliment for your success with the worms. So many areas have lost their wildlife. We CAN live in harmony with them.
Love your chopped leaf mulch.....kind of like tossed salad for the garden.
;-)

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

I really don't mind sharing a few worms. I mind sweeping the leaves back into all the beds. Thanks for the suggestions, but I really don't want netting over my gardens. There's not much point in putting in ornamental plants if you have netting all over them.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have a sign up for my Robins. "I don't swim in your toilet so don't pee in my pool" Translated means if you eat my worms make sure you dump your load in my garden. Another sign as the birds are leaving my garden. "Circle and drop before you leave this spot"

Peoria, IL

I use shredded leaves for mulch too. And for me its the darn doves that scatter the mulch around. I don't mind too much, but it is annoying.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

"Circle and drop before you leave this spot" I GOTTA get me one of those.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Maybe I can soak my seeds in fish oil or Cod liver oil then I will get a pile of goodies. Probably the neighbors down the road.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

You can cover the fabric or wire netting with more leaves so that it isn't visable. I do it all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.