Spin's $88 Lawn

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi y'all!

I don't hang out in this forum, but seemed like where my new experiment would go!

A year-and-a-half ago, Blooms and I put down weed-block (the fiber-y paper-y kind, not the black woven) and made a path of indoor-outdoor runner (in dark green). It looked ok and was low maintenance, but the weeds here are just too determined and some managed to break through and were 'tattering' the edges of the strips of weedblock...

Decided I needed to do something about it (even though no one can see it from the Curb! *WE* could see it).

I discovered this plastic carpet at Home Depot -- it is mixed green and black strands, so it isn't that BRIGHT unnatural green like some are. It was $4 a running foot (6' wide) and I needed two pieces 11' long.

It's still (or again?) getting pretty hot here, 102F yesterday afternoon, so it has taken me a couple late afternoons of sweeping the weedblock and pulling weeds, and three morning's worth of trimming the edges and weighting down the buckles, but TA-DA. I am real pleased with it! And don't have to water or mow! I've also spread new mulch under the fig and lemon trees.

Their carpet meter/measurer was off, so I was ~2" short, but rather than make a fuss about it (not to mention having to bundle it back up and return it!) I lined up some spare bricks in front of the berry patch -- far side of lawn. They need to be levelled, but I think they look not too bad, kinda match the tree circles. When I went back to tell them they needed to calibrate the meter, the manager gave me some face-bricks (split bricks?) that I'm going to put along the black plastic edging (right front corner of photo) and then the whole of it will be brick 'lined'. Then just need to get rid of some of the JUNK in the background, and it will be a much more relaxing vista, from the house or patio.

~'spin!~

Thumbnail by crystalspin
This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!