Datura

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

OK, PLEASE I need some help here. Am new at this Datura stuff. Dave, from your picture it looks like what you are calling Datura, I'm calling Moonflower. The difference is in the leaves. My leaves are not as sharply pointed. They are flatter and wider. The leaves of your plant look more like my purple Datura which is fluted like a double petunia, purple and white. Can anyone help? I don't have a photo, but if I saw a picture of either one I could identify it.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Going to step out of amateur mode, and try and answer this:)
Forgive me if I get it wrong. There are two plants called moonflower. CALONYCTION - gorgeous, herbaceous plants that climb. They bloom in the evening and are related to the Morning Glory. They grow wild in the tropics of both hemispheres - It's covered with lovely leaves and white, fragrant flowers that resemble trumpets, up to 6 inches across.
Ipomoea alba, the Moonflower, blooms at night. The twining, climbers grow from 10 to 30 feet high.
Neither is a Datura. The annual kinds can grow about 3 feet tall, have large, ovate leaves and trumpet-shaped flowers in red, pink or white and some have white blooms that are tinged with pink or lilac. D. Stramonium, the Jimson Weed or Thorn Apple provides an important drug with narcotic, anodyne and antispasmodic properties, commonly known as Stramonium. In 2-3 months this plant can grow to 2 or 3 feet high and about the same in width. Jimson Weed has large, long-stalked, heart-shaped leaves with wavy margins and white, tube-shaped flowers that are followed by large, egg-shaped, spiny fruits filled with black, kidney-shaped seeds.
I have a white Datura that's not Jimson Weed, but will get it IDed when it flowers, hopefully tonight!

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

tiG, more and more I love this site. Thanks so much for your help. Being a "child" of the 60's I am familiar with Jimson weed. This doesn't look like what I identify with that plant, but from your description it just may be. Leaves are heart shaped, white trumpet type blooms; blooms only in the AM though. Right now it is more wide than tall, has egg shaped pods, but they arn't black. But the seeds may not be mature since I pick the prickly pods off as soon as I see them since I've been told if they explode I'll have more than I want. I meant to say the seeds arn't black.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I have two different daturas that have blooms now. Several more that are still babies (but I have a long growing season:)
Mine look like totally different plants, got them both in trades. One is tall with dark green leaves, one is wider than tall with medium green leaves. That is the one that's going to bloom tonight!!!! I'm so thrilled I'm beside myself. Neither of mine have heart shaped leaves, but my 'moonflower' does. I'm not sure which of the ones I mentioned it is, though!!! LOL! So much to learn.

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Ya know I really don't care what they are. They are beautiful, I enjoy them, they make me happy. The only reason I wanted to know their names was so if someone wanted to trade I could give them a name. I guess I'll just say I have some seeds for a beautiful plant that grows here in NC. giggle giggle.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

there you go!! do you have a digicam, by any chance? i know someone could id it for you. That's what I need to do with mine. And the ssslllloooowwwww datura that I said would bloom tonight. Well, I'm still not sure:)

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm so tech challenged that I'm lucky I know how to do this let alone a digiwhatever. The most I can do is have hubby take pics w/his 35mm and then send them to CVS where they do the work so I can put it on the web (whatever that means) and I no longer have a 8 year old kid in the house to show me how to do it. Or is it down to year 5 now?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL!!! When you get your pictures developed, get them to put them on a disc. Then you can upload them from your computer to the photo or id forum, whichever you need. It's really easy to do, just ask if you need help!

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Well Agapanthus, if you want to trade for whatever they are, email me. i can grow some and help you i.d. them since they are so lovely.
Looking forward to hearing from you
Sandy

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

tiG, your moonvine with the heart-shaped leaves should be Ipomoea alba---are the flowers pretty much flat, rather than trumpet-shaped? (I hope you'll say NO, trumpets, and then you'll have the calonyction and I'll have to beg for seeds). And the datura---have you ever actually SEEN a red one? Or pink one? All I've ever seen were white, yellow, or some shade of lavender-purple. I have a D. stramonium (Jimson Weed) that has white flowers with a dark throat, and a single lavender with a dark throat, and a single white with grey-green, fuzzy leaves. They're all prett much heart-shaped, but toothed, but some are fuzzy and some are smooth and glossy. Oh, and my Jimson Weeds are about eight feet tall now, and covered with blooms---they're looking better than the more-cultivated varieties are!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

My moonvine were late planted and just now starting to take off, so I will come back when they bloom and see how the flowers stand up to your test.
As for the red, pink moonvine, I got that info from botany.com. I would love to have one, wouldn't you??

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Just mailed you SDoglover. Thanks again

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

new to this site, to the brug & dat plants, but i do love to research on plant that trigger my curious mind. thru research i have bookmark several sites that i do share every now & then. here is a site that u could probably id the plant u have. it not mistaken, i think what u have is a datura metel. here is the site that shows images of both leaves & flowers. hope it help... ma vie rose

http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_images.shtml

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

what a beautiful set of pictures. Went through them all and the one that looks the most like mine is the hothouse Datura spp. one of the last mentioned. Those leaves look more like mine, not as spiky as the others. No matter what I put that site on "favorites" so when I have more time can go through it all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.