Jasmine Nitidum (Angelwings Jasmine)

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

My Angelwings Jasmine is now flowering and the fragrance is heavenly:)

Thumbnail by annette68
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

And a most lovely plant too.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

annette, My Jasmine is blooming, too. Ahhhhh! I have a question tho...I would like to put some of it in other places around the house & was wondering how to propogate this wonderful aroma. Any ideas? I thought of doing an arbor...

Your's is gorgeous! Mine looks somewhat different, tho.~ not a pinkish, but white. I wish I had pics...

Hello,

I am not too sure how to propagate jasmines, if I was going to attempt I would try tip propagation first, just take the tip off plant place it in a pot, water and put in a cliplock bag.Than I would take cuttings off the new wood and the old wood and try that,cut the stem below a node about 10cm and plant and see what happens.

I am a hit and miss gardener when it comes to cuttings just poke them in. I have more hits than misses:)

I cant imagine that jasmines would be that hard to propagate there are always heaps in the garden centres and I cant see them messing around with plants that are finicky.

Let me know how you go and which method works for you.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanx annette, I'll give it a whirl. Cross your fingers!

and toes :)

Tampa, FL

Most jasmines are easily propagated. When I prune the wayward pieces I just put in a small pot with miracle grow potting soil for containers and keep outside in a partly shady area for a week or two, then pinch the tip so it branches, wait another week or two for roots to develop well then plant in ground. Both nitidum and arabian jasmines work well, so does night blooming jasmine. I do this in the summer (in Florida zone 9) so it is the middle of growing season.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanx silverkitty, I'll do it. Although this isn't the middle of the growing season.... I have put a couple of them in potting soil. I'll pinch them off & wait a couple of weeks & go from there. :-))

Much appreciated.

Tampa, FL

this photo shows a week old piece of night blooming jasmine in the little concrete urn in front, and one I started a couple months ago in the black plastic pot on the far right. The first 2 weeks I just mist the leaves and water the pot once a week until it grows more leaves (usually I strip all the leaves except top 2 when I cut it). I didn't remember to pinch the growing tip on my first few and they didn't branch off-just one big stem- did not look so good!

Thumbnail by silverkitty777
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Wow! That looks great! Pinching & misting...I think I can remember that. :-))
Thanx Again! Yipee! I just hope that I can get mine to look like yours before frost...I want to put it under an eve & let it creep up one end of the house. Do you think that it will work? I hope so... :-))

Tampa, FL

The nitidum will creep, the night blooming just gets to be a big floppy shrub! I've tried to get it to act like a vine but it just doesn't for me. Confederate jasmine starts off slow but then takes off, vining around everything it can reach- will it work in your zone? It smells so good spring and summer. I've tried vining arabian jasmine also and it just turns into a bush for me too- but the smell is glorious! They're great for indoors too!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Indoors? How wonderful!! To tell the truth I have no idea what kind of Jasmine I have. A woman in Roanoke,Va. gave me a start & she didn't even know that it was Jasmine. It has the most heavenly scent. I put it on a trellace on the edge of the woods (beside the driveway) & it has been trailing up in a locust tree. The blooms are just now begining to fade.

Tampa, FL

music2keep- you made my day with your kind and enthusiastic replies, thank you! I'd like to send you some jasmine, if you email me your address I can send some now or in the spring if that's better growing in your zone. Just let me know! silverkitty

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Night blooming jasmine is Cestrum nocturnum, and it's supposed to be a shrub and I don't think you can do anything to it to make it vine. It's not really even related to jasmine, just got the name because of the way it smells I guess (although I was rather disappointed in the smell of the one I had at my last house--could barely notice it unless I stuck my nose in the plant!) Some of the Jasminum species are sort of borderline and you can get them to go either way depending on how you prune them, Arabian jasmine (J. sambac) is one of these that can go either way, although mine has always been more shrubby too.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

ecrane...I felt the same way about the cestrum nocturnum this summer-there were a few bunches of blooms throughout the plant and I couldn't smell them either-but now the shrub is absolutely covered with blooms and the smell is wonderful-you walk outside at night and you can smell it as soon as you open the door! heres a picture of it in total bloom-I have it in full sun-about 8-9 hrs a day

Thumbnail by tigerlily123
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe mine just needed to have more blooms then--it was its first year in the ground and it was still pretty small so there were only a few blooms. Oh well, it got left behind at my old house when I sold so I guess now I'll have to get a new one! It wasn't on my shopping list for the new yard because I was disappointed in it, but I guess I just wasn't patient enough so maybe it goes back on the list now!

The night jasmine is a must for heavenly scents at night, you are right it was too small.Once it has heaps off blooms the scent is out off this world.

How long is the bloom time on the night jasmine? I have confederate jasmine and it is a wonderful fragrance but lasts only a month in the spring... : ( pod

The night scented jasmine is 4 months for me.

Wow, four months would be wonderful. Of course, you are in a milder zone. Is the night blooming the same as the angelwing jasmine?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No, angelwing jasmine is Jasminum nitidum, night-blooming is Cestrum nocturnum.

Thanks for the response, I will have to check them both out...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.