Never Gardened Before

Kirkland, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello Everyone from Everywhere,

I live in Zone 10 (I think), am a city condo dweller, and am finishing a redwood deck off my living room (deck includes a small arbor for dappled sun and shade). My exposure is south and west with full sun most of the day, and haven't a clue how to begin a container garden. The deck will take a couple of months to rest before I can stain it at which point I'll be ready to start planting. Since my outdoor room is very small I would like to eventually plant plants that grow vertically. Particularly since I have an arbor (11' x 4') with lattice on three of its sides for vines to grow on. I have invested in a number of books that address southern California gardening, have joined this website, perused various forums and links, and have it in my imagination to have a pretty outdoor room (an extension of the living room) to sit and smell the roses - so to speak. I should also mention that anything I plant in my soon to be garden will need to be hand carried up flights of stairs and across my carpeted interior. So weight will be an issue for me.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the outdoor space I've built (blew all my money building the bloody deck), but the total space measures 11' x 11.5'.

That said, I am open to any tips you might like to share. Particularly about what will and won't work in containers. My first concern would be to address the soil I should use to fill my pots. Second, since I love the look of climbing flowers and have built an arbor for them to climb on or hang things from, I'd like to know what (if anything) will work. I realize that its late in the season to begin much of anything, but I would like very much to be ready before next spring.

I want you all to know I have spent days (and nights) reading your threads and advise and looking at your pictures. It looks like I am in the right place for a beginner.

I know this is a long introduction and I apologize if it is too long. Nevertheless, I have much to learn and tons of thoughts in my head.

Thank you for listening and I would be happy to hear from you.

Bonnie

Fulton, MO

The first thing I would advise anyone to do is to read this thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/527353/

Kirkland, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you. I'm printing information now.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Bonnie--

Welcome to DG and thanks for sharing your project ideas. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Your new deck sounds like an interesting challenge. In your climate and location you will have so many wonderful plant choices for your vines and climbers and so many nurseries and garden centers in which to research possible plants-- so much fun!

http://parks.co.la.ca.us/south_coast_botanic.html

Unless you already have excellent plant sources, I suggest you post on the California forum and ask where the best nurseries and other horticultural gardens are around Costa Mesa. There are sure to be some fabulous ones nearby.

Not that you have to buy at these, since you also have the option to start vines from cuttings and seeds, too, or you can trade for plants which is a lot of fun.

When you have some time, though, it would be helpful to go out and look carefully at the nursery stock, colors available, bloom times, growth habits. So often plants look different in 'real life' than in photos. And you will want to consider moisture requirements, too, especially since you will be using containers and will have no watering system, I assume?

So many wonderful kinds of vines and climbers are available to you that I won't presume to suggest any. Much depends on the theme you choose and how much time, money, and energy you want to invest--whether you are looking for 'easy maintenance' plants to enhance an elegant 'garden room' or if you wish to take up gardening as a 'passion' and get hooked on plant collecting or propagating, etc., etc.!

Cacti and succulents with exotic climbers are one (EZ maintenance) theme option to consider with a south facing deck -- or xeriscaping and native plants. Roses seem an obvious choice for your trellising and you can find lots of companion plants for those at Descanso Gardens and Huntington Gardens, too.

I look forward to seeing pics of your progress and reading your posts. t.

p.s. And Roger's Gardens is a great resource if you haven't already visited and/or checked out the site links.

http://www.rogersgardens.com/the_gardens_links.asp

http://www.rogersgardens.com/

Good luck. t.

Kirkland, WA(Zone 8b)

Dear Tabasco,

You sound very familiar with the southern California climate and vicinity. I very much appreciate your responding to me. I know nothing and every bit of info shared is a huge help. I'm so new to gardening that I haven't the foggest idea where to begin, except that I notice everywhere I go now (Target, Home Depot, even the market) I'm looking at plants, feeling pot weights and touching and smelling as if I knew what I knew what I was doing. Even driving down streets now I'm looking at south facing yards for ideas and to see what will grow. I don't know if this will become a passion. Right now its just fun building and planning. I'm familiar with Descanso Gardens and Huntington Gardens and I live very close to Roger's Garden. Roger's is very expensive, but the displays are worth the trip just so see what works in the sun and what doesn't. I already have a Park's catalog and will be looking at others through the winter. Thank you for all your ideas and the links. I'll look at them now.

Bonnie

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, well, we lived in California for over 30 years--much of the time we lived about 3 blocks from Huntington Gardens in Pasadena. Costa Mesa, of course, is my old stomping grounds because of South Coast Plaza and we spent a lot of time over in Laguna with friends, etc., etc. at the beach. We go back several times a year.

Rogers is expensive, but you may as well check out one of the best. You can always improvise your own look and stay on budget. Also, instead of, or in addition to, Parks Catalog, you may want to look at White Flower Farms catalog. Again, you don't especially want to purchase from them, but they offer very fine varieties, give good descriptions and display interesting combinations of traditional plants. You can buy the same plant material at local nurseries or Home Depot. Or better yet, trade for them.

There are several DGers who live down in Orange County and I think they post on the California forum quite often. I suggest too that you check that out. You may not have to buy any plants if those around the area can 'trade' or get you going on seed sowing. Often times gardeners are looking for good homes for their extra plants, too.

Good luck. t.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Bonnie,

I see you found the Container Garden Forum.

tabasco is right, in that you can get many great ideas from the expensive nurseries, then put together your own beautiful pots.

Since you live in the same area as I do, I can help you a lot with what plants can grow in the southern light...Everything that takes surn!! Because we live in a coastal zone, we don't get the baking heat that many of our neighbors get...like Anaheim or Santa Ana. In fact, there are several plants that say partial shade, that we can put in the sun.

We have a ton of great nurseries in this area and many of them are less expensive than Rogers. Have you looked through any garden magazine or plant catalogs to get an idea of what type of plants you like? Are you looking for all flowers or some all green type foliage too? When you are ready to actually start buying pots and plants, I would be glad to help you make some decisions. I can also point you in a good direction for some reasonable pots too.

Email me if you need me, ok?

Welcome again to DG,
Donna

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I too am new to gardening, cannot give any information on plants or your zone. However, this might help with the height you will need to get more in a small space.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/611446/

sixth post from the top, third picture (in the middle), what I'm going to call a plant tower.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/619298/

I think SoCal posted a few picture a month or so ago, showing container within container in the Cactus and Succulents, I can't find it and I might be mistaken on SoCal posting. If any one knows of this tread it has wonderful plants.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

ghia, Is this the picture you are speaking of? This was taken on a garden tour, it is not my garden.

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal
Kirkland, WA(Zone 8b)

Dear Tabasco, Ghia Girl and Donna,

Thank you each for your support and information. My deck is now complete, arbor is primed and painted, and I'm ready now to start shopping for pots. Nothing can be planted yet because the redwood decking still needs to rest a month or two before I can seal and stain it. In the meanwhile, I'll be hunting up pots and doing more research on what to grow. I'm particularly interested, as my first challenge, in growing vines to climb my trellis work and arbor. I've been reading on-line some of what will grow well in pots and what will not. I built my arbor somewhat lower than normal so I can manage it from a step stool rather than having to climb ladders, which makes generally hardy and unruly climbers an easy choice for me, as I'll be able to contain them with ease. With condo living I have to be sensitive to and thoughtful of my neighbors and not let anything I grow encroach on my neighbors property, which is less than spittin’ distance away. After that I'll probably look for plants and flowers that offer height, color, and greenery. I also think baskets would hang beautifully from my arbor and bring lots of color to the space. Since my space is so small, I was thinking fewer large pots would be attractive rather than numerous small pots. Although I will probably change my mind as time goes by and want to experiment in numerous smaller pots. Truth is, at this point I only have a vision and no experience or knowledge. What I'm trying to create is an outside garden as an extension to my living room - an outdoor space to sit on warm summer nights alone or with friends and an environment that is visually appealing if I'm sitting inside looking out. I have been perusing all the links and advice so generously suggested by DG members, all of which is greatly appreciated.

Donna – any suggestions for affordable resources for lightweight pots that I could investigate locally?

Again, I apologize if I’ve written too much. Guess my enthusiasm gets me carried away.

Thank you.
Bonnie

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

BWebster - the first think that popped in my mind when you said "an outdoor space to sit on warm summer nights alone or with friends and an environment that is visually appealing if I'm sitting inside looking out." is a new plant to me this year. I have seen pictures of it growing in pots.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11655/

North Vancouver, Canada

Hi there - this is my first post... thought I'd make it useful! Re your question about lightweight pots, there's a company in Santa Rosa (not exactly close to you, but at least in the state) who makes quite attractive lightweight pots out of recycled grain husks. They're much nicer looking than plastic, and apparently last 5 years plus, depending on the weather. Here's the URL: www.ecoforms.com. Doesn't list any retail locations on the website, or online ordering capability, but does list a phone number and sales email address for ordering - maybe you can buy direct?

Hope it works out! I haven't used these myself, but am going to see if I can find a way to get them up here in Canada.i

Thumbnail by newgardener7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.