August 10 and HOT

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Hello folks,
Everyone must be really busy lately, as there aren't a lot of posts. I just got in from watering all the flower beds, trees, gardens, etc. I am ready for a nap. It's been pretty dry lately but we've managed to catch a few showers here and there. There is a burn ban for most of the state. About 60 miles north of us and also to the west, the crops are in sorry shape. The corn is only waist high and brown already. The northern half of the state is dry as a bone. Most of the ranchers and farmers have sold most of their cattle as there isn't enough rain to fill the ponds and stock dams. The pastures are brown and whatever hay is cut is minimal. They opened up the CRP acres last month to grazing, but lots of it was too little, too late.Every time there is a storm that comes through, lightning starts fires and hundred of acres burn before it can get put out. It's a sad situation.

We went to the Camp Creek Threshers event last month in Lincoln, NE and I got to meet Nebraska Jewel. We really had a nice chat. Wish we could have stayed longer. It was so nice to finally get to meet someone from Dave's. Wish I would have thought to take a camera along. Jewel is the greatest!!

Summer is winding down and school will be starting in a couple of weeks. DS # 1 got married in July. DS #2 had surgery a few weeks ago and is doing fairly well. He had the tube coming from his kidney to his bladder reconstructed as his was too small and kinked in one spot. He had to go in to the doctor yesterday for a minor infection. Kids!! They think they can just jump out of bed after surgery and go back to work. He hasn't gone back yet, but two days after he got out of the hospital, he was painting his garage. His dad caught him in the act and read him the riot act and I think he learned a hard lesson. He was really hurting the next day. Of course, they don't think that we parents know anything!! ;) He hopes to feel good enough to work half days next week. I guess it depends on what the doc says.

Just thought I would pop in to say hello. Mary, how is your riding going?? EvaMae, have you had many storms in your neck of the woods?? KathyJo, how are all your critters? I had to get my Canadians a kiddie pool as the pond is totally dry. They really like to splash around in it. Hello to Kathleen and Badseed. Michelle, have you gotten any critters yet??
Take care everyone.
Ruth

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!