Potato Barrels

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Every year, we plant our seed potatoes in halved whiskey barrels. We drilled holes in the bottoms, then added some rocks for additional drainage. We placed a thin layer of soil over the rocks, then added the sprouted seed potatoes, cut with at least three eyes per piece. Next we added enough soil to cover the seed potatoes, adding more as the sprouts came up and leafed out. By mid-summer, the barrels were filled with soil and the the potato foliage towered well above them. They make a nice yard border that keeps people from parking there, and the barrels make it easy to harvest the potatoes in the fall.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

That is such a GOOD, efficient way to grow something! Thanks for the tip!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It works well here, since we have cool summers and lots of rain. In hot, dry country, it may be less effective, but I imagine potatoes are an off season crop for you, aren't they?

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

I love your idea! Now if I only had a small fortune so I could buy the barrels. I've been thinking of trying a "potato tower" in chicken wire to accomplish basically the same thing, but the barrels sound much nicer.

By the way, how many potato pieces do you put in each barrel?

This message was edited Aug 12, 2006 4:16 PM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Nice, Weezing. How much do you get out of them at harvest time?

Victor

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

We got a really good deal on some whiskey barrels. They are on sale in Anchorage at the end of the season, as a rule. I think we got nine of them for around $15 or $20 each. When we drilled extra holes in the bottom, you could smell whiskey in the wood shavings!

Suggested planting is a piece with at least three eyes every foot, but we plant them thicker than that. We have a short growing season, so we plant a bit thicker. We can't really plant until mid-May, and that is only if the soil pile is thawed! I usually dig them by mid-September, because they basically quit growing when the temps drop below 50F, and why harvest in the freezing rains of October. Because the summer hasn't been much over mid-50's, I wonder if we'll have enough potatoes to cover the amount we planted! LOL!

As for the size of the harvest, it varies, depending on when we get them in, how the weather goes, and how late it stays warm. I tried growing them in a raised bed once, and it didn't yield as many, but for folks that live in warmer climes and have lots of garden soil, maybe hilling is better.

We have very little top soil here... mostly crushed rock and gravel with an inch or two of composted topsoil, at best. Most garden soil is created from compost or purchased from The Mat-Valley or Kenai, brought over by the truckload. Most Seward gardeners raise their beds, so most all gardens are container gardening, whether a pot, a barrel, or a big box frame. Raising the soil in this way keeps it warmer and allows good drainage. We get lots of rain here and the ground level soil remains cool.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

You guys sure have more than your fair share of challenges in gardening and I tip my hat to you for your dedication! I'm going to keep your potato barrel idea in my list of "to do's." It is great for so many reasons.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I like the fact that I can just pull the wheelbarrow up to the barrel and scoop soil out by hand. Any potatoes I find go into a bucket with holes drilled in the bottom so I can rinse them with the hose and let them drain before bringing them inside. The used soil goes back into our dirt pile for next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.