Wayside's Heucheras

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,,

Just saw something and wanted to share. 3" pots of Heucheras for $12.95, $9.95, $14.95 It's highway robbery I tell ya. http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=gatepage&gate=WGHeucherasGP&cid=wem000296

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I bought Frosted Violet, Peach Flambé and Heucherella Sunspot from Wayside this spring. They're okay but some of the plugs from the TerraNova (Pixydish) co-op are actually further along.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Katy,

That doesn't surprise me. Did you put your Waysides right in the ground or pot them up first in a bigger pot? I got a couple from somewhere else that were in 4" pots, I put them in the ground right away and they are doing well. Not as big as I'd hoped they would be by mow, but they are healthy and growing, so can't complain.

Kelly

Kelly, I put them right in the ground. With TN's plugs, I re-potted them to 4" pots then in the ground a couple/three weeks ago.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

That's what I did. Except with TN, I potted them a second time into a slightly larger pot. They'll get there.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I have lost probably ten or 11 heucheras that were plugs from TNN, I haven't a clue of what I did wrong.

The plugs were so root bound for one thing, I think that was a problem, and then I probably watered them too much. Anyway, that was a bust pretty much.

Susan
=^..^=

Gee Susan, which heucheras did you have? None of mine were root bound, I re-potted them all the day after I got them and I ordered 15 in all. Sounds like I was lucky!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan,

I also lost a lot,,,prolly 8,,,grrrrrr.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

The only plants I have lost from that co-op was the tiarella. I am giving up on those until we get a automatic sprinkler or drip irrigation done here. It seems they need more water than I can provide with my busy schedule.

I did go to a local nursery this past week and got a flat of heucheras that are lovely plants in 3 inch pots. I have potted up several and they didn't even droop from the repotting so I know they will be fine. Some of them I am keeping for trades in the future and my DH has told me that I can go back and get another flat of them. WHOOO HOOOOOOOOO

I got:

Strawberry Swirl
Ruby Bells
Dolce Mocha Mist
Dolce Licorice
Dolce Creme Brulee
Dolce Key Lime Pie
Dolce Creme de Menthe

Ponditis, lucky you! I rarely can find more than one or two at local nurseries.

Lodi, CA

Almost all of my Heucheras died from the TNN coop.. The heat here was horrible and mine were in the last goup to go. I only salvaged about 2 or maybe 3 plants from the total order. So Sad. I have a couple of Nursery's to check in the area that handle terra nova, I still would like to get some more.
Dev

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

well i will be watching for your trade list-i want them!!!!!!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Lani,

That's awesome! Let me know when you're ready to trade I really want the Licorice

LOL How badly do you want that Licorice? LOL

It really is pretty with the almost black leaves and that gorgeous reddish purple underside to the leaves.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ummmm, Pertty bad,,,,,LOL I have a couple that I could trade now. I'll get out tomorrow and see which ones they are. I know one is Velvet Night & one is Ginger Ale. Either of those trip you're trigger??? LOL Oh, I think there's a Hollywood,,,but I'd have to check for sure.

I have all of those you mentioned so far. LOL

Lani

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ACH!!!!! Could I bribe with maybe a oh, I don't know,,,,say a nice division of a hosta that I have available to split. I could send you some choices?

Kelly

Sure. Dmail me.

Lani

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Pondits----- My Licorice leaf took third place at the missouri state fair behind my Orbisan (2nd) and Green Spice (1st). That is not saying much really. this was the most screwed up show I have been to.My Licoice grows in about 1/2 days sun and does real well. i would not dare to do that with Orbisdan in this neck of the woods.

ozarkian, how do you show them? Do you dig them up or grow them in pots? Inquiring minds want to know!

Oz by saying Orbisdan are you meaning to say Obsidian? My obsidian has sunburned from being in sun for two hours about mid day where the rest of my heuchera have been fine in the same area. I am glad to hear the Licorice will be more sun tolerant so I can switch it out with Obsidian if that is the plant you are talking about.

KatyMac,
Most fairs around here have a show for just the leaves of hosta, heuchera and other plants that are known for their leaves.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Katymac---- This was a leaf show. You take one leaf and put it in a bottle and they judge that.

Ponditis---Yeah Obsidan is the plant I am talking about. I am very surprised at the Licorice. It is both sun and heat down here that mess up the heuchera. I have lost a couple this year in total shade so I am sure the heat for days on end has some effect. Some Heuchera have lines that go back to plants that grew in the wild high in the mountains. I think they still carry that trait in some cases and will not take excessive heat day in and day out for extended periods of time.

I know what you mean Oz on them not wanting to take the heat. Some of mine look aweful right now from the hot dry days we had this year. Of course we always have hot dry days but this year the hot dry days have been hotter and dryer. I potted some up so I can give them more care till we get a drip irrigation system put in. I agree with you that some just seem less hardy toward our conditions than others are. I know that some of them are native to the Pacific NW so those would like more water and cooler conditions too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.