farmerdill or others?

Sumrall, MS(Zone 8a)

Could you please tell my why are my watermelon plants are growing, especially my bigger plants, why are they growing to their left toward the east , instead of straight out front of them? Also, is it normal for them to vine on other plants? I did notice too that they are catching hold to some of the grass that has pop up, since i've fertilized..

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They grow in two directions toward the sunlight and toward the nutrients. They do have tendrils and like to grab hold of other plants to raise theselves up toward the sunlight. If the soil is better on one side they will go in that direction.

Sumrall, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks Dill, your help is so greatly appreciated. I would guess it would the sunlight that its reaching for. I have plants on both sides of my patio and they're all growing in same direction.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Also, sometimes the vines get blown to the east around here when they are small and have not interwoven themselves yet with each other. I keep them weeded well early and that is partly a problem when the winds blow hard in a storm as there is nothing to anchor on!!

Sumrall, MS(Zone 8a)

thanks indy for that could very well be the case too. Glad to have some help on this for i am very new to gardening so all help is appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.