glads

Syracuse, NY

hi i,m bob i was very disapointed this year i planted 1500 glads we have had very wet and muggy weather my glads develop[ed thrips so bad that the buds blasted they are ruined this year has anybody have a idea what i can do next year to keep thrips away i sprayed but it was to late. i know my mom years ago soaked the bulbs in creolso but you can not get it. i would appreciate any help bob

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Here are a few home remedies:
http://monroe.ifas.ufl.edu/home_remedies_for_insect_and_dis.htm

If you have to resort to chemicals Orthene is a good one for Thrips.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

drummat, what a disappointment!
If you don't want to do chemicals, you could try companion planting. Shasta daisies and sunflowers are trap crops for thrips, onions are supposed to repel them, but you may not want onions in your glads. Is it a mixed bed?
There's also sticky traps, but you would have to know the kind of thrip to get the right color.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

My father soaks his glads in Lysol (the liquid that comes in a brown bottle). Use 1 1/2 teaspoons of Lysol to 1 gallon of water, soak for 3 hours prior to planting in the spring. This controls thrips. He also used to add Captan for fungus, but since he can't get that anymore, now he uses Ortho's Daconil 2787 or Bonide's fungicide Fung-onil. He forgot to soak them last year and noticed the difference, so this year he made sure he did it and has been very happy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.