Orienpet Lily 'Altari'

Denver, CO

Orienpet Lily 'Altari'
Lilium

A first-year bulb blooming in the garden of a friend. Youth and heat seem to cause less colourful flowers.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2007 8:30 PM

This message was edited Aug 20, 2007 10:20 PM

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea

Sorry, but this is not a picture of Altari.

Denver, CO

Please explain.
If it is because this specimen has less pink eye region, that may be due to our heat; it bleaches all lilies to some degree. Last year when it was slightly cooler, there was more eye. It was purchased from Brent and Becky's, I beleive.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Altari is an Orientpet. That is, a combination of oriental and trumpet. To see a picture of it, go to
http://www.lilynook.mb.ca

Once there, click on Orientpets on LH side and you will see a picture of it.

It looks to me as if your lily is a seedling or something or other. Not a known lilium anyway. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago when I was silly enough to buy Triumphator from ???? Costco I think.

Very often the general suppliers, (those who are not lilium only hybridizers and actual growers), buy in bulk from Netherlands. The dutch growers are not too careful about names etc. I think this is because they cater mainly to the cut flower trade.

B&B are very reputable suppliers, so suggest you let them know that your Altari isn't.

You might want to post your pic on the lily forum. Maybe somebody there has the same type of lily.

inanda - It is VIP that plantfiles are correct as people from all over the world depend on plantfiles.
Nothing personal, just simply that plantfiles MUST be correct.

Denver, CO

I completely agree about watching standards for plantfiles. I also wholeheartedly agree that the dutch are not on top of keeping names proper. Allow me to hunt down my other pictures of this plant so that we can compare other characteristics- not accounting for colour, what characteristics do you see that are not in line with 'Altari?' The stamen?
Like I wrote earlier, the colour of lilies, especially this year, are bleached by the sun and heat. (for example, 'Scheherezade' had no yellow whatsoever in her this year, it was quite white)
Thank you, JamesCO

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Is this the first year for this lily in your garden? If so, perhaps next year would produce a bloom more characteristic of the cultivar. Just a thought. I know my iris and daylilies sometimes don't look quite true the first year and I wonder if they are correctly named. Then the second year they look much more true.

At any rate, if you need us to do something with this photo, just give us a shout.

Thanks.

Joan

Denver, CO

I agree with you, Joan.

I made a mistake in reference in a post above: The plantfiles picture was the flowers last year in my friends garden. Mine looked just the same (summer 06):

Denver, CO

This is the same plant in my garden this year.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Your second photo looks much truer than the first one. Would you like me to remove the first one so you can upload the second one?

Denver, CO

For further example of what climate/soil conditions do to a flower, see the flollowing two pictures of the great 'Silk Road'

Last year in a pot

Denver, CO

Actually Joan, I think that the incorrect-looking picture is good information. It could be helpful to others who wonder about the trueness of their plant. I would like to upload the second picture and make a note about the newness of thebulb in the description of the first, does that sound well?

Here is Silk road this year in the ground. There are big differences, the largest- which is not horribly visable in my pictures, unfortunately, is that it has a very dark back to it last year and a white back of the petals this year.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

That's fine. But please edit the caption to say that it's a first year bloom and the conditions were different in that photo. I'll also move it, so it's not the first one that shows up on the list.

Denver, CO

Done; thanks for your help.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

You're welcome :)

Denver, CO

The edited bit has not changed yet, (after a few hours) is that normal?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

When you enlarge the photo, it does show up. I'm not sure if it will in the original post or not. Let's watch it and see.

Denver, CO

Funny, when I see it enlarged or otherwise, it is still "Flower detail, in the garden of Loamy_Lady". But when I go to edit it again, the edit box shows the new version. Maybe it will fix itself- I suppose that little quirks are inevitable in such a complex and deep website!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Try clicking on Switch to Live View and then the photo. I think it will show up that way. Sometimes there is a lag in how quickly things show up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.