Canna - leaf edges turning brown

Croton-on-Hudson, NY(Zone 6b)

I have a number of canna planted next to a pond. They are different varieties. I don't know what kind this is. The flower is beautiful but the edges of the leaves are turning brown on this plant, but not on the ones right next to it. My white Ermine ( [HYPERLINK@pics.davesgarden.com] ) is nearby and doing well. Can anyone ID this canna and tell me why the edges of the leaves are brown?

Thumbnail by mygardens
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

id say from the heat Paul

phicks - If it is from the heat, why only this one canna??

Louisville, KY

VIRUS!!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

If you like the canna then I believe its worth working with. The dreaded word virus appears everywhere, but it must be remembered that a virus can be managed by the host plant if the plants immune system is supported. We live with virus's all the time they are opotunists, meaning the virus becomes apparent when we/ plant are under stress. Feed and support the immune system and it will do its job and attacks the virus bringing it under control. This does not mean that the virus is destroyed it just means that its numbers have been so reduced that it has no apparent effect on the plant. It lies dormant till the host becomes stressed again and its numbers rise and the virus becomes apparent again. The human example is the cold sore that appears when you are run down. You have a plant that is clearly in stress, it probably has a virus that is making it look so miserable. If it was mine I would dig it up with a good root ball, trying not to damage the roots too much put it in a pot that had comfortable room and then sit the pot in a deep enough dish of water that would keep the soil moist but not sloppy. Then find a place for the pot out of the direct sun, Trim of the damaged leaves, leaving at least 1 or 2 . Cut the flower of as soon as, these measures are all aimed at allowing the plant to repair its self and supporting flowers and damaged leaves takes energy that could be better spent on fighting the virus. Finally when you see some new growth feed it with some diluted sea weed. Good luck I hate to loose a plant, Rita.

Heywood, Australia

Hello to everyone in this forum. Rita, I totally agree with the advise that you have given mygardens, you have a wonderful way of explaining things. Any Canna is worth saving. I believe that I purchased some plants here in Australia last year that may have the virus,I have treated mine with the milk remedy and now waiting for this coming growing season to start to see what the outcome will be. I dug the one's that were affected from last year, (actually I thought they had died and was going to turf them) 2 weeks ago and there are new shoots coming up, so I ever so gently replanted them and am now keeping my fingers crossed. B Williams just love those cannas you are producing, hope that one day they will make it to Aussie shores. Cheers, Lyn

Rita, Thanks for your detailed reply. Certainly this beautiful flower is worth saving and since I have only one of this color, it is worth a try. However, it sounds as if you need a longer growing season than we have in NY and the plant may not have time to repair itself before the winter. Should I dig it up anyway so that the other plants won't get infected? Can I keep it inside or does it need to go dormant for the winter like my others.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I would still dig it up and give it as much of the treatment that i mentioned, when the cold comes let it go to sleep like the others. You can isolate but i believe that the other cannas have been close enough to pass on the virus so its all about closing the gate after the horse has bolted. Just set it up in the pot with the filtered light and moisture, it may well surprise you. Rita.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.