Too Much Used Beer?

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Every night, after enjoying a cold one, my husband goes outside and waters the compost. Is there such a thing as too much used beer in the pile?

Denver, CO

Question ages old, dear. It's perfect green material! (Just make sure you have plenty of browm materials like leaves or sticks to accomodate it.) Overdose is like too much grass clippings.
Steve is going to chime in on this, I know... So I'll beat him to one thing:
http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/t/soferdig/3149/

K. James

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

My, you boys are funny!

Our mower mulches grass clipping right back into the lawn so that's not an issue, and I've got tons of brown so I guess I'm okay. I knew urine was full of nitrogen and good for the compost, but I didn't know if daily doses (and sometimes extra on weekends) might be too much.

Thanks, K. James!

Denver, CO

I, er, happen to know from, er, experience that daily doses are not too much on a pile with enough brown material...
Kenton

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Good

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

All sources of nitrogen are good for the soil. I rarely deposit beer left-overs on the compost pile. I am a man and need to mark all areas of my garden so bear, deer, wolves, and other gardeners don't think it is unowned. This all I have learned from my cannine and feline friends. MY territority!

Denver, CO

Whoa.
That is too strange. (Glad I'm not the only one.) Kidding- I live in the suburbs-versus-rural interface and have two dogs who do it better than I. It may be unladylike for my girls to lift their legs, but the mice and cats know who owns the place.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have often taken the urinals provided for the man of the house out to fruit tree and garden areas to ward off deer, etc. Problem is, they soon learn that there really are no humans outside and cross the line anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.