want to see picts. of your 'pink princess' philo. please : )

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

please if you own pink princess i would love to see your picts. i just got pink princess cutting from a sweet sweet person in last houseplant swap. she was so generous and knew i had been wanting this plant. i hope mine does great! any advice in growing it will be appreciated too. i can't wait until i can post picts. of mine!!!!!!

kelly : )

Hi Kelly!
I have two, and I think both need more light to have more pink variegation, but I'm picky about where I put them because of drafts. I may put them on my plant shelf under the lights for a bit to see if that helps better variegation develop. The first one I've had almost a year. It dried out completely during shipping and looked absolutely horrible all winter long, but when summer arrived, it started putting out new leaves. Still some browned leaves on it, but it is starting to look much better. Here it is now.

Thumbnail by RainGazer

And here's the second, larger one. It rode home from Florida in the trunk of the car, but was no worse for the wear. It had almost no soil in the pot so I repotted it and it's growing by leaps and bounds. I still have to get the supplies to make a moss pole for it. Hopefully I'll get around to doing that soon.

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Look at this beautiful pink baby! I'm hoping better light will encourage more leaves like this.

Thumbnail by RainGazer

One more picture...see the pink baby toward the bottom right?

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I would love to show a pic of the pink princess however I dont' have one. Mine died that I got last fall. It never grew and just dwinded away.

Haven't been able to find one this summer within my price range.

Nice one Rain.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Well here is my Pink Princess...i purchased it off of ebay....i just love it...that one pink leaf just opened, however it has brown spots on it....other then that it is doing good, as you all can see...got my fingers crossed hoping for the best.

Char

Thumbnail by red_princess_71
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

nice picts. amy and char!

amy i love the pink baby! wow!!! i am crossing my fingers and toes that mine does good! thanks ; )

kelly

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Here is mine and it's "cousin".

Thumbnail by NematanthusNut
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

those are beautiful plants! what is the one beside pink princess? it is so pretty!!!

kelly

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Nice Nem, love both pink and the cousin. Is it Autumn or Prince of Orange?

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

It's Prince of Orange. Sometimes the color is eyepopping and other times less so. I'm sure it has something to do with the lighting.

So this Pink Princess I have...it's just growing into one long, thick stem. The picture I posted is a few months old. I'm going to cut it and plant the cutting in the pot with the original plant. My question is, what will the original plant do? Will it send out an offshoot? Is that the difference between "self heading" philodendrons like the Prince of Orange versus vining types like the Pink Princess? Counting the PP, I only have two vining philos. Well, three if you want to count the Monstera that's taking over the porch.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Nem,

My PP is doing the same thing, growing into a long stem..although it has leaves coming out, that are all pink an i love it...i was thinking of cutting the top off. Philo's root pretty easily so i think this one will do the same thing as the others....
Would love to hear if other cut there tops off and had success in rooting them and what happened to the momma plant.

Char

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

There was a thread on GardenWeb a few months back where someone was going to cut theirs. I emailed her. Maybe she can tell us how it went. Numerous people did tell her that she should wait until warm weather to do it so if we're going to top them, I guess this would be a good time. It's definitely warm!

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine was doing this long neck thing too. So about two months ago I cut off about a six inch piece and potted it up. It's showing new growth and the mom plant is too.
Here's the new growth on the Mom plant.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

And here's the baby with new growth emerging.

I know some folks are looking for this philo and I'd be happy to trade the baby (in the photo below) now that it's rooted. Just dmail me with an offer.
Another Daver was kind enough to send the mom plant to me when they found several at a HD, so I'd just like to pay it forward.

edited to say that the PP philo has been spoken for. As the mom gets bigger I'll try to prop some more. thanks.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2006 12:41 PM

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

You guys are making me envious....

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Kelly,

my contribution, #1

Thumbnail by senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

#2, same plant; the plant is about a year old! 8>))

Larry

Thumbnail by senlarrs
-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I've been wanting a PP for a long time... I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and spend the $$ -- it's worth it, right? Sure looks like it is.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Very nice Larry. That's a pretty one for sure. It's so full and colorful.

Well, I'm encouraged about topping it. Begoniacrazy's obviously did fine and I talked to the other person and she said hers branched after she cut it back. So, I guess I'll whack it in half. Wish me luck. You ready RedPrincess???

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Nem....taking a deep DEEP breath " i am ready" lets hold hands and hope for the best...when i whack it off do i put it in water or just rooting hormone and put it in soil? As soon as i find that out I will cut it :o)

Char

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i am loving the pictures! good luck char and nem. keep us posted on how they are doing.

kelly

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

My friend at the other forum said put it in soil. The thread over there had several references to them rotting in water. I think Begoniacrazy put hers in soil too. Mine has a lot of air roots already which makes me feel a little better. Tomorrow's the day. Readyyyyy...............set................

Yes, I just put it in a soil blend that I use for other house plants but upped the perlite to about 30% so it wouldnt be too wet. It had several 1-2" long roots when I sent it out today. Good luck with yours, it wasnt very hard - I'm sure you will do great (breakin' out my house plant pom poms and doing a propagation cheer for you!!!)

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I have two that I got off EBay. Here is picture #1

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

This is #2.

What does everyone feed there's.

Mine is growing like crazy. I have been using some magic liquid plant food (that's what they call it) that I got especially for my Lucky Bamboo. It says it is high in nitrogen. I didn't think you wanted something with high nitrogen because that is mainly for green leaves. PLEASE tell me what you use for fertilizer.

Linda

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

very nice plants! i love them both! i am hoping my cutting does okay. i had put in on my front porch hoping for it to root faster and.....we had a storm and took it right out of its pot! i found it the next morning. it still looked okay thank goodness. i am surprised it hasn't rooted yet. i hope it will.

kelly

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Linda,

I use Eleanor's foliar feed on this and others in my collection. Prior to Eleanor's I used Schultz 10-15-10(?) liquid feed at about half strength.

Your plant is so symmetrical. My plant has a long, twisty, thick stem. Very unruly, this plant is. I need some support for it.

Char- I cut the top off my momma plant last Fall and now you can't even tell. It's filled back in nicely. I didn't root my cutting though- I traded it. :)
But, with the cutting I gave you, I did use rooting horomone and place it in some very well draining soil. I used Pro-Mix, mixed with about 1/3 extra perlite. My first attempt at rooting PP was not successful. I think because it was in the dead of winter and it was too cold and not so humid in my house. The second time, with your cutting, it was Spring and she rooted rather quickly. I'm thinking the rooting horomone and warm temps helped her along a little.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2006 4:30 PM

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Nem,

Did you ever cut your princess, I did..and well i think it went into shock..and i am hoping that i starts doing better.

Char

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of my baby girl. I received her as a trade from a very nice lady on DG and she had a rough month during July as we were outside in tents/campers while our new house was brought in. BUT, here she is admiring herself in her new spot in the bathroom on the corner of the tub. She receives filtered light through the bathroom window and humidity anytime someone showers or baths. I thought I would lose her outside and the things I went through to try to save all my plants out there was un-imaginable (and down right crazy sometimes *lol*).

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations

Kim she is a very nice looking plant. Such pretty leaves.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

very nice kim!

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I did cut it and both the cutting and the original plant look fine. The cutting already had a lot of air roots so it kind of had a head start on getting established. I'm waiting to see what kind of growth the mama plant will put out now.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much for the compliment on my Princess. I adore her daily and anxiously await each new leaf. I'm looking forward to the day that she requires a moss pole :)

Kim

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Wow Kim, I've gotta add my praises as well. She's beautiful!

Kim, I agree. She is a very lovely lady!
Susan

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I got one now, a dear dger sent me one, I will try to take a pic tonight. I have had for about two weeks and so far so good.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Can I ask a question on these (as I don't normally grow philo's) but do the leaves that have been growing the longest ever get tired and turn brown for no apparent reason or is this a sign that I am doing something wrong? I think it might have been the first leaf mine put out and over time has just turned brown like it's tired or something. None of the other leaves look this way at all.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide,
Kim

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Kim, is the entire leaf brown? Or just sections of the leaf? If the latter, it's due to lack of humidity. Miss Pink Princess requires higher than average humidity. I learned that the hard way, you know. After a few leaves were clipped due to the brown uglies.

GH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.