What are you planting in the autumn?

On the banks of the , VA(Zone 7a)

I was pretty clear in my "hi I'm new" post that I am the Black Thumb of Death.

I have been so busy getting moved in and settled, I have done nothing in the garden other than keep my potted plants watered.

I was also waiting to see what popped up here. I had no idea about what might be planted. Looks like nothing!

So I'm looking forward to getting in some garlic, and some bulbs for spring, but I'd love some other ideas.

OH, that reminds me to dig the Christmas tree hole NOW. :-D

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Luna, Last year I stopped at Lowes and got some really cheap potted Asiatic Lilies, they were done blooming so they were put on sale. Might want to check into that.

Here is a picture of this years blooms.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello,luna and lady--This fall I am planting peonies again. I started years ago with Festiva Maxima, a fragrant, early, white double with flecks of red. It originated in France in the middle of the 1800s and in early 1980s it was still one of White Flower Farm's top sellers. My flowers multiply when I move them from place to place as they are enveloped by deepening shade.

I know this is a terrible thing to do to peonies! They hate to be moved, but Festiva Maxima takes this abuse better than most. The upside is that no matter how careful I try to be, each plant that I move turns into three or four plants. Peonies have been my best investment in the garden. The dwarf asian pear trees that I bought have turned out to be not so dwarf as one might have thought. So the last of the peonies are going to have to be moved onto a sunny slope in front of the house.

Here is a Festiva Maxima just beginning to open last May.

Thumbnail by dayli

Hi dayli ! Festiva Maxima is one I want to get when I have the right spot for it. My mother had one in our garden when I was growing up. It was planted right near the entrance gate to the yard. It smelled so good and the plant made a nice neat shrub, over the summer months.

I might get some potted mums to place out in the yard where more fall color is needed.

Chris

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I have able been to rescue large potted chrysanthemums for two or three dollars each from a local garden center when they are past their prime, plant them out in the garden, give them a little winter protection, and have them come back year after year larger and more beautiful. This is probably not possible is zone 5--on the otherhand, you can grow lilacs without the unsightly mildew and other problems that afflict them here.

The chrysanthemums would probably winter over for luna too, since she gardens in zone 7.

Festiva Maxima isn't fussy. No need to wait for the perfect place. It will soldier on and even give you flowers under less than ideal conditions.

Dayli, Some mums over winter well in zone 5, those I root the cuttings I take in the spring, don't know if planting potted ones in late fall would do, probably not enough root growth.

I get some mildew in my lilacs in this hot humid weather too. And then there is the late frost in the spring what could take some tender buds of the lilac if it is not in a protected area.

I had to pull some Gloriosa daisies due to the mildew last week.

Here is a picture of one of my 3 years old chrysanthemum called "Mickey"

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Chris, my gardening information on Pa is all hearsay. Virginia is the only place I've ever had a real garden, although I do vaguely remember toddling along after my great grandmother in her Iredell County, North Carolina garden.

Mickey is very handsome. I don't know the names of any of my chysanthemums. The poor things had no nametags when I picked them up off the clearance table. A few of them have petered out after a few years, others seem like the energizer bunny. I should have divided them again this spring.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hello all. I have planted 2 (started out as 1) Rhododendrons. A couple of weeks ago my brother took achainsaw to his 15 year old Rhodo. & yanked the roots out with his truck. We live next door to each other & share a "burn" pile. Last Saturday (not yesterday) the wind split an Ash that he has & we were cleaning up the debre ~ taking it to the "burn" pile....Low & Behold! there were sprouts coming out of the base roots on the Rhodo.:-)) Needless to say I was excited. Yes, I layed claim to it. I wanted him to let me get starts before he whacked it, any way. When I went to retrieve what I thought was 1 plant ~ there were 2!.

I think that's all I'll plant this fall. I may get a few mums for the deck...

Joey

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Here in Virginia, fall is generally the best time of the year for planting. This is especially true of shrubs and trees. The biggest pitfall is that the supply at most nurseries is generally pretty poor. I have gotten some great deals on shrubs from Meadows Farms. Around the first of November you will see 3 gallon shrubs selling for around $8.

- Brent

Crozet, VA

After having my husband tell me at least 5 or 6 times to NOT buy any more plants, I still did. I found a healthy looking blue nikko hydrangea a while back. We decided to let it stay in pot and plant later. Not sure when hubby will dig the hole but I just couldn't pass it up. I had been wanting one all summer long.

I will be inheriting more day lillies from parent in laws who have moved to a retirement home and sold "The Home Place." When I was there a month or so ago, I saw some miniature lillies. I pointed them out to hubby and told him to get them when he dug plants.

A few months ago my husband came home with what amounts to about 40
+ day lillies from his parents place. He also bought home 6 hosta that day too. Poor guy sure was busy digging holes and planting all that. I am going to have a beautiful bed beside our driveway.

There will be several things that need transplanting. I had one place in my main flower bed that was empty for a while and I now have too many things in it after everything grew. The elephant ear that is growing there is absolutely huge. I finally had a hibiscus show up that I didn't think was going to do anything.

This is my first "real" year of gardening. I didn't do much in years past. I am getting so much pleasure with the whole pursuit. I don't know when I have ever been as content and peaceful as I am lately.

Well, I am typing this during the middle of a big storm. Need to scoot.

LOVE TO SEE THE RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruby

Dayli, there are many different planting conditions in Pa, as I would guess there is in Va also. When I lived in Pittsburgh it was different from where I live now, I lost a lot of plants getting use to the change!
I think Mickey is cool too, had to have him, I have a thing for Disney, couldn't pass him up LOL.

Joey, good for you! I bet that Rhodo (s) was happy to be saved!

Ruby, give that hubby of yours a big ((((hug))))). I don't think mine would do that. I'm having a hard time getting mine to rescue a large rock from the side of our street when they dig it up replaceing the gasline.

Chris

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yes Ladygardener, they are happy. I found a new shoot on one of them this evening. I am really excited about the whole thing.:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.