asking stupid questions

Lake Charles, LA

I am new to composting so will ask these dumb questions. I know that shredded paper is sometimes put in compost so can I just dump coffee and the filters in the compost? Can put used teabags in the compost
also ? thanks in advance. ss

Peoria, IL

Yes you can put the filters and tea bags in the pile. I do it all the time.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I second that. Also can throw them in the worm bin if you have one.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

Think not what you can......think what you CAN NOT. Then anything goes......Anything organic can be composted you do not want to use dairy or meat (fish is OK if you bury it so as not to attract vermin).

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I even composted my ragged cotton welding hat,today,although I hate to depart with things so dear,it had to go,and what a good cause! Mike

Beachwood, OH

I usually pull the staples off the teabags if I think about it. I compost paper plates, napkins any paper that comes in the mail (minus stamps, celophane windows and glossy color pieces), paper towels, any kind of old cotton clothes - post cleaning rag stage, plain brown cardboard, printer paper, etc. You shouldn't compost colored inks unless you know for sure they are soy based and not synthetic chemicals.

I don't even put the coffee and filters in the compost bins anymore, it goes directly into the garden. You can hide the filters under plants or scratch them under a little soil and the worms love the coffee grounds. I work a section about 3 months at a time - throwing it out there every day. Its good organic feed for the plants, weeds don't grow in it and all the beasties are happy. Slugs don't crawl to it either.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have wondered for years about being able to use unused coffee grounds. If we can use cold coffee & the used grounds, can't we use unused coffee grounds or instant coffee is smaller amounts? Just wondering.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

You could use unused coffee grounds, but most folks would find that an additional expense. Instant coffee doesn't have the plant material (fiber) to enrich the soil. It's not the caffeine that is helping the plant, it's the organic matter.

edited for spelling

This message was edited Aug 22, 2006 3:30 PM

Peoria, IL

Coffee is fairly expensive. And used coffee grounds are free. You can get bags of used coffee grounds from Starbucks - or make an arrangement with a local coffee shop or restauratn.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

I have even thrown old pillows in feather meal is a good amendment so why not....all cotton items go in... dryer lint (I only buy natural fibers)

Peoria, IL

I've never done this myself but I have heard of people composting old cotton clothing, like blue jeans and tshirts.

(I've heard of some women who compost their used feminine hygene products too.)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

ewww ewww ewww ewww ewwww ewwww ewww!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I agree with winging. That is nasty. Somethings just need to hit the garbage bag and out on garbage day.

I would think to a worm coming across one of those would be like
me planting something and sticking my hands in cat poo when I don't have a cat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.