Squirrels and Jade Plants

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Alright, we moved to this house last November, and I left my three fairly large Jade plants on the back deck until it got too cold and then I brought them in. I put them back out around April and they had been growing gangbusters. A few weeks back I noticed a fallen branch, picked it up and stuck it in the dirt to see if it would root.... When it disappeared I didn't think much of it, since I have three small children and we have had thunderstorms with high winds pretty regularly for the last two weeks. I went out to plant new cuttings two days ago and thats when I noticed that several of the main "trunks" were partially to mostly chewed through. When I commented on it my 12 year old said "Oh yeah, we can see the squirrels chewing them from the dining room at breakfast.." Jeesh...thanks for mentioning that tidbit of info... SO, I moved those three to the back stoop where my one really big Jade has been living, unmolested, since April. That very afternoon, I saw the squirrels after them again, so pulled them into the garage. I was thinking of moving them onto the front porch, since we very rarely see any squirrels in the front yard, much less at our front door, as a last ditch effort before bringing them back inside. I was thinking that maybe they were trying to get water from them since they are succulents, but there is a bird bath kept full in the back at all times, and I have seen squirrels drinking from it on many occasions.

Now, don't laugh at me, but these Jades are VERY important to me. After my divorce I was destitute, on public assistance, and trying to support these three kids by myself. According to Feng Shui, the Jade plant represents money and it attracts money to your household. So, I invested in these Jade plants, three small and one a bit larger 5 years ago, along with a gold fish, who is supposed to absorb bad luck. Since that time, I graduated college, found good work, support my family in a solid middle class lifestyle, and bought my first home in a nice neighborhood with good schools. Now, there is no proof that the Jades have anything to do with this chain of events, but I certainly don't want to take any chances!

Does anyone know why the squirrels would want to snack on my Jades? Is there a way to prevent it other than bringing them in? They really thrive on the heat and humidity, and I just know they wouldn't be as happy if I kept them in all year...

Thanks all...

Jessie

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Bless your heart! I do hate squirrels myself. You can have plenty of bird seed, bird baths, etc but if they decide your jade plant is tasty - they will eat it. The only way I'd found to keep them off is using a physical barrier of some kind. Hardware cloth works but is not really pretty.

Some people have had good luck with pepper sprays. My squirrels are not phased by cayenne. My son saw them eating the peppered bird seed by the paw full and commented "They followed us up from New Orleans - they are out there saying "You give us a little red wine with this here burd-seed, we be eating fine!"

If your pots are big enough, you can put barbed wire around them. Not sure what the Feng Shui would say about that... I've had them dig up many hydrangea starts in small pots.

They can climb and they can jump and they are smart. As one writer said "They don't have a job. They don't go to school. Their whole purpose in life is to eat your garden, birdseed, fruit, etc. When you come up with a new barrier, they are applauding you for designing a wonderful new game for them to solve."

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Squirrels are looking for food and water. If you provide that, you might get them to quit snacking on your jade plants but you might also encourage them to do other destructive things and they may also invite their neighbors and friends. There are many threads about squirrels on DG that you may want to search for. It's bad enough when they raid the bird feeder and dig through your pots to plant their acorns or sunflower seeds but the worst thing I have seen is when they get in your attic and scratch the insulation, chew through wood and electrical wires, and laugh in your face while doing it. Then it's time for the BB gun and rat poison. If they stay in the woods, then I am happy but when they invade my territory then it becomes war.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a lot of squirrels in my yard and I have 2 jade plants on the deck. They do not bother the jades and maybe it's because I have several bird feeders. This maybe an answer to your problem.

Thomson, GA

I know we should love all God's creatures, but squirrels are definitely at the bottom of my favorites list, right next to snakes and spiders. I think I actually like spiders better. I have personally seen squirrel nests in boats, with all the wiring chewed to shreds costing hundreds of $$$ to repair. My mom had a brand new Oldsmobile years ago that squirrels got in the engine compartment and chewed through the electrical harness, also costing mega bucks. Squirrels aren't covered under any warranty. I'm glad my kitty scares them off.

We had mice chew the insulation in our car in the garage. Thank goodness it was mice and not squirrels.

We left Xmas curtain lights out on our covered deck after Xmas a few years ago. The squirrels not only chewed through the insulation but the wire as well for several feet. I just wish I had the lights plugged in when they were doing the chewing. The worst thing though is when they get in your attic and are chewing on the studs and any thing you have stored in the attic such as books, boxes, etc.; moving the blown in insulation about to suit their needs; and even chewing through fascias, soffits, and light weight flashing between the roof sheathing and shingles! Their incessant chewing and scurrying makes it very hard to sleep or concentrate on doing anything through the day. A BB gun is a must in this case.

Give me a snake anyday over squirrels, especially a squirrel-eating snake!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

hcmcdole - those of us who hate squirrels have LEARNED to hate them through their behavior. People who think they are cute little wood critters have not suffered from their destruction.

I have bird feeders and they eat the seeds and they still have been destroying my peaches every year. I even put out one of those cute squirrel feeders with the ears of corn and they still came after my peaches - the little unripe ones at that! I finally won this battle - see http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/627107/

They come onto my patio and uproot pot plants, particularly rooted cuttings. I am lucky that I have not had them in my attic!!!!

Glad to hear the baffle worked for you. We tried that at our last house on a bird feeder. Of course they defeated that with their aerial assaults from nearby trees. They are amusing as acrobats but only if they keep it in the woods.

Our last house was cedar siding and I'd be working in our office/guest bedroom on the second floor and I'd hear some noise around the window. It would be a squirrel walking across the window. Unbelieveable!

Don't get me started on their digging in pots. The only thing I have found to help in this case is to scatter gravel, pecan shells, or broken shards on the top of the soil. I don't know how many little plants I have found scattered about a pot that had huge holes recently dug in it.

Then there are rabbits that like to browse on your plants as well. The best defense here is to have the pot high enough to keep rabbits out but then you bring the buffet table up to deer height (not that they wouldn't stoop for a delicious morsel but why make it easy for them?).

Once we have our fence finished and can let the dog out most of the day, maybe then some of these critters will find that it isn't a smorgsabord at our place (unless the dog gets lazy).

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I want to thank everyone for the advice....I'm going to try some of these tricks, and if absolutely necessary...I'll bring them in. GRRRR

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.