New Garden Buddy

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Caught this fella sunning as I went out to the mailbox today :) Of course, now that I know he's there, I guess I won't be squishing up into the bushes to get the mail quite so haphazardly anymore...LOL.

-Sunny

Thumbnail by Hineni
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Very pretty! After finding a really horrible red spider in an area I was digging for a new fern, I have never dug again without my gloves. Too many critters in the garden that one discovers accidently!

This is called a "wood louse hunter" - Dysdera crocata - I got it named on the identification forum here. It's bite is "painful, but not deadly".

I'd say no poking around "into the bushes to get the mail" either!!!!!

Thumbnail by sterhill
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hmmm, I have a love/hate relationship with spiders. I know they do good things (eat bugs), but yuuuuuck, one on me...no thank you! We have those little black ones everywhere on the ground and they run across my feet all the time...0_0 Thankfully they are always in a BIG hurry so they don't stop :)

I have to wear gloves because sometimes I have to squish the pests on the plants and I just can't do it without gloves...LOL!

Thanks for informing me of one more thing to keep my eyes open for :)

-Sunny

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I think spiders do a good job - but I am cautious of them as they do bite. I hope I never find a brown recluse. I've never seen one like this red thing before - I did find a shrew in my backyard recently - so... there are critters out there that we may not even suspect!

I see you are also Atlanta - I'm in Dunwoody - where are you? Need any iris or daylilies?

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey Sterhill,

You have some D-mail :)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I don't fool with spiders. I've found black widows around yard and I don't want to run into a brown recluse. For that matter the ext office down here wants people to catch any strange spiders so they can try and identify them, apparently their not sure what all is creeping around a jungle. LOL. As far as snakes I have a couple out door cats and they take care of any snakes in the yard.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

If my ext. agent asked me to catch spiders I would tell them to "let me know when YOU'RE coming".............not me!! When the SOD (sudden oak disease) was on the move our ext. agent came out and removed a suspect plant in order to send it to UGA to make sure it was ok (which it was), I then took the receipt to Pike, where I'd bought it, and was told they couldn't refund with out the plant. Even got a letter from the ext. agent confirming what happened, Pike still didn't want to refund my money. Well, Pike is no longer in the area where I bought it. Wouldn't buy from them if they were!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.