Help! My shade garden is no longer shady!

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I cut down a Bradford Pear not realizing it was providing a lot of the shade for my shade garden. Now my Guacamole hostas are burning.

This bed gets a little sun early in the day but the sun that's doing the damage is from abt 4:00 or 4:30 on. I'm going to move the hostas but don't know what to replace them with. Most "part sun" plants seem to need morning sun and afternoon shade but I've got just about the opposite.

Almost posted this to the perennials board but thought you shade gardeners might have experienced this "transition" and know what to do.

Thanks!
Sherry

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

You are doing it - move things around until they are happy. I put in a big shade garden this year and my neighbor cut three trees and a 25' tall stand of photinia that was at least 50' long. So now I am suddenly getting afternoon sun in areas that were full shade.

Afternoon sun: alstroemeria (sweet laura) does well. Sedum, asters, American Beauty Berry, lilies, euphorbia are doing well in my afternoon sun. I've had to move all the hydrangeas and hostas, plus some others. It really disturbs the nice "plan" I made. Still, I can move things around as I decide where they would look better. For now they just had to be moved out of the blazing sun.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Sterhill, I used to live in Atlanta. Boy, do I miss it!

OMG! When did this happen? Are you having to move stuff in this heat?

What lillies do you have doing well in afternoon sun? All of mine seem to prefer afternoon shade - although, come to think of it, the Casa Blancas got some hot sun and their blooms were beautiful - shortlived tho compared to the ones in afternoon shade.

I have some Autumn Joy sedum. Is that the kind you are speaking of? I have enough to move some.
Thanks!
Sherry

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I woke up one morning to the sound of the tree cutters! My neighbor - who is a lovely lady - had decided the trees were too close to the house and she'd get the photinia cut at the same time. What could I say?

This was about 5 weeks ago so the blast furnace had not heated up so much yet. In this heat, I can't do anything. I can't even stay outside too long! But I guess if I needed to I could get out in the very early morning to move them if they were turning crisp...

My casa blancas and scheherazade lilies are in full sun with some lady fern over their "feet" and they really flourish in full sun. The lady ferns are quite thick and also flourish in full sun. They used to get afternoon shade but I had to have a tree removed. Still, I think they really like full sun.

I have Autumn Joy in the full afternoon sun and they do well. The alestromeria (sweet laura yellow ones) can take the heat and sun but you need to give them extra water - I have plenty extra if you want some. I won't say they are invasive, but you do need to control them.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/83107/ for scheherazade

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Realized I ought to say what other plants are in the bed since the new ones will have to live with them. Only the front of the bed is getting too much sun so the other shade plants are doing ok so far. They are:

Hydrangeas (one wilts but recovers with watering)
Bleeding Hearts
Japanese Painted Fern
Pulmonaria
Variegated Solomen's Seal
Virginia Bluebells (they are dormant of course by the time the sun is a problem)
Mahonia bealei
Brunnera "Jack Frost"
Sarcococca

The hostas that are burning are on either side of the Mahonia. The broad leaves and mounded shape looked nice. Sigh.
Sherry

P.S. I posted on the Hosta board to ask about hostas that can take hot afternoon sun.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2006 5:28 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My kurume azaleas seem to do just fine in morning shade and afternoon sun. Also, sasanqua camellias which I believe can be grown in your zone. Other types of camellias won't take that sun exposure.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/camelliafaq2.html

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I didn't know sasanquas could take that much sun! A camellia is too big to be a replacement for the burned hostas but I have another place that I thought got too much sun for a camellia - maybe I should put one there after all. Thanks!
Sherry

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Hi Sherry,
I can't say much for the other plants on your list because I don't have much experience with them in sun, but you gotta move your Jack Frost if that spot gets too much sunshine. I learned that they like a deeper shade, maybe with a little morning sun but not direct at that. When the heat and humidity hits, they're the first in my garden to show their disdain. Nothing worse than a Jack Frost with singed leaves, as I have learned the hard way.

Erynne

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Fortunately, only the front of the bed gets the hot sun so the other plants are safe. Except for the Japanese aucuba that I didn't even mention. It's burning but it's too big to move - been there for years. Don't think there's much I can do for it other than water and mulch. Actually only the top is burning so maybe it will be ok. Of course the scorching looks terrible.

The bed used to have such a lush look. It was my first and favorite bed. I've been discussing sun tolerant hostas on the hosta forum. I beleive I will be able to replace the Guacs with other hostas. That way I'll still have the broad leaves and nice mounded shape on each side of the Mahonia. Cross your fingers for me!
Sherry

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Boy that's a shame...I have no advice since I'm new to this, but you have my sympathy- my whole yard is shade and it's depentant on a couple of big trees. If they ever go, I'd be in dire straits. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.