Unknown Peony?

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi,I am hoping you all can help me.My Grandma had the prettiest Peonies when I was growing up.I remember one in particular that even as a child I found stunning.I don't have a picture so I am going to try to describe it.The plant was about a foot or so tall I believe and instead of the normal leaves peonies have it had real fine lacy leaves almost like asparagus leaves,The plant looked like a big pom pom.It bloomed very early in the spring and the blooms were really red,puffy and full.As I said it was so beautiful.I went back last year to her old home and needless to say the new owners dozed everything old out and planted new things to their liking.I really wish my mother would have dug it up after Grandma passed away. I am hoping someone will be able to tell me what type it was by my description and if they are still grown anywhere?Thanks!! Cedar

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Probably Peony tenuifolia.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/62914/index.html

carolvan

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

That is EXACTLY what it looked like!!! Oh my goodness! Thank you so much fancyvan!! Now that I know the name I can continue on my quest to acquiring one.I am sure it won't be an easy task as I haven't seen any like that since childhood but worth the effort as that plant holds such dear memories for me.Thanks again for the quick ID fancyvan. Cedar

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They are around but , at least in my part of the country, not so common as 'regular' peonies and far more expensive! Commonly called Fern Leaf Peony they come single or double and I think are always a deep rich red.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank You for telling me the common name fancyvan.Fern Leaf Peony.The name fits them.The ones my Grandma had were the double ones because I remember the blooms as being in layers and really full, red and fluffy.Oh they were so beautiful.I figured they will be priced alot higher than most Peonies.I feel they will be a wonderful plant for me to pass down to my daughter and so on for generations.I wish my Grandma had thought of that.Do you know of any company or person that sells them?I will need to get busy in my quest to find one.Thanks again for your replies! Cedar

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think you can find several nurseries that sell on the internet that carry this one. Just google and check in the plant files here too. And phone around to any large nurseries in your area. I only know places in Canada so not much use to you!

carolvan

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks fancyvan,I'll call our bigger nurseries tomorrow.I'm going to go google now : ) Cedar

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I can't believe my luck.An elderly woman who knows my folks asked me if I would help her dig and move her peonies.She said she would give me an entire bush for helping her! I almost fainted when I saw them.Turns out they are the very same peonies heirloom peonies I have been searching for and never been able to find.Paeonia tenuifolia 'Rubra Flora Plena' I am just so excited .Now if I can just transplant them without killing them.Is there anything special I need to do when I move them to replant?I certainly don't want to do anything wrong.Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Nancy

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

How big of bush and how big is the rootball? How much dirt did you get with them? I've always been told that you should divide a peony once you dig it out of the ground. It will perform better for you.

Maybe others have better advice. ;)

Thanks.

diann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You will probably find it pretty difficult to dig = peonies have huge roots. I dont remember if the fernleaf roots are as bad as regular ones - I dug mine over 10 years ago. It will probably break off when you are digging - In any case you want a piece with 3-4 eyes on it for replanting. This is a really good time of year to be transplanting peonies. Dig a nice big hole ,mix some compost with topsoil for the bottom and plant with the eyes about 2 inches below the soil surface.Best site is at least 6 hours sun a day. And if you get more than one piece you could probably find homes for them thru a gardening club if there is one in your area. They are available but not so common and usually way more expensive than other peonies.

carolvan

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Carolvan and Diann thank you both for the advice.It was a very nice large sized bush and her ground was no nice we got the whole bush lifted pretty easily using a potato fork digging very deeply all around it first and the dirt came away from the roots without too much effort.Only a few roots remained with no eyes.She sent home 5 really big clumps and a few smaller ones( 2 to 3 eyes each) with me.The rest have at least 5 eyes each 2 have 7 eyes. Should I seperate them more so each has fewer eyes or plant them as is?I have a special bed all ready to plant them in.I am so excited to have them! : )

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Three to five eyes is what you are supposed to get from a retailer. I'd probably just plant the ones with the seven eyes and call it good. :) You are a very lucky person, a peony like that can fetch $40 to $80 at a nursery and $30 to $40 for a division on-line. :) You are going to have a wonderful peony hedge! Please keep us posted on how they do. Remember, don't plant the eyes any deeper than two inches. :)

Congratulations!!

Diann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.