Home Depot 1/3 Off Trees and Shrubs

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

For a little over 80 bucks I got three vaccinium corymbosum (highbush blueberries) Earliblue, Darrow and Patriot; two Fothergillas, Mt. Airy; one Viburnum dentatum, Northern Burgundy; one Oakleaf Hydrangea; and a Kalmia, Carousel. They offer a one-year guarantee so I figured it was worth a shot.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's quite a haul. Good luck with them. I was at HD today and noticed a bunch of 3-4'
Japanese maples at about $85.00. They looked okay but I wasn't too tempted, although they did have "Sango Kaku," which is one I'll land someday. They had them B&B in containers, which is something they consistantly do which I do not understand.

Scott

Yeah, that's wierd. I was a little leary of buying there, but the prices were so good I couldn't resist the temptation. A few of the leaves on the Fothergilla were fried around the edges, but aside from that everything looked pretty healthy. Guess I won't know for sure until their pots come off.

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow! You got some great plant material for very little cash. Congratulations! May I ask what size pots they were in?

At the garden center I work in, we sometimes will put B&B plants in a container. If we expect them to move off the lot quickly, or don't have the time to dig them in, placing them in a pot prevents them from getting tipped over by careless customers or strong sprays of water and wind. It can also hold together weak burlap and thus prevent the root ball from accidentally getting damaged.

Pot sizes:
Kalmia and Fothergilla - #2
Oakleaf hydranga and Vacciniums - #3
Viburnum - #1

They all looked a little big for their pots which I didn't really notice til you asked about the sizes. I expect some may be root bound. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I am very surprised your HD carries fothergilla and oakleaf hydrangeas. The ones by me would never carry nice material like that. I have notice the nicer the neighborhood, the better the plant selection is at HD. I go a little farther to one by me that actually carried some grafted conifers which I have been buying now that they are on sale and earlier this year. Also when the grafted ones lose their tag (twice this year) they go down to $10 since nobody there knows what the heck they are selling. Got a nice 5 gal Pinus Densiflora Umbrifilica as well as a dwarf Scotch Pine for $10 each. Also bought a Picea Pungens Bacheri earlier this year before they could neglect it.

Nice finds

Bill

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
. . . before they could neglect it

Yeah, that's a real worry. Before buying anything in containers this time of year I would tip them out and see if they have healthy roots.

Guy S.

I live close to willis. Our HD's never have any plant material like what you're getting you lucky sap! We do have at least a hundred Bradford Pears and Burning Bushes on sale for those with discerning tastes. If our HD had plants like what you described on sale I'd be taking off work tomorrow and heading out to hit as many HDs as I could in one day.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Equil, do you mean me or fireweed? Burning bushes are discounted to $10 for 3 gal, gold pot special. Get'm while their hot.

Bill

Hey Bill, I was referring to that lucky sap fireweed who has Home Depots around her that are stocking decent plant material.

I saw what our Home Depots reduced them to and people are buying them like popcorn. One woman had an entire cart of them and had rammed a few Butterfly Bushes, Japanese Barberry, and some really choice Shasta Daisies that had defintiely looked as if they had seen better days in and around the tops of her Burning Bushes. I nonchalantly asked her where she lived and when she told me she was from the next County over, I told her what attractive plants she had purchased and was thanking my lucky stars she didn't live anywhere near me. I do know how much you like those species and being as how you're only about an hour or so away from me I took the liberty of stuffing my own flyers in the mailboxes of ALL of your neighbors listing ALL the Home Depots in our local vicinity that are selling out all of their choice goodies so they could pick them up cheap before they all sold out. Honey, don't thank me. I felt it was the least I could do for you to help your little one and the new one on the way learn how to identify Burning Bush and Bradford Pear volunteers. It'll be good for them. It will give them a jump on the identification process in the future when we will be relying even more on the new and "emerging" talent out in County and State properties. I've got a nice little audio cassette for you to start playing to the newest member of the willis clan while in womb. Guess what it says? Nothing like having a whole new generation to carry the torch for us as we age.

"Here's Your Sign".

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

My baby started saying "tree" the other day and says it when we go through the forest preserve or when we ask here what one is. She said "cone" months ago. Ignoring the invasive part, I would prefer burning bushes to all the Rose of Sharon around here. Must of been the gold pot special at Handy Andy 20 years ago.

Bill

Tree is a hard word with that r in it. Usually at her age it comes out an Elmer Fudd "twee". Way cool. Do you have her on tape?

I remember Handy Andy. I liked Handy Andy. It was a fun store with all those work shops for women. Do you remember HA offering those workshops? That's where I learned to wallpaper and they also taught me to stencil. The Rose of Sharons are all over here too. At least they bloom.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I wish they had workshops like that nowadays. I want to learn woodworking, but I'll be going at it kind of blind. (Maybe I should start watching "Home Improvement" reruns.)

Bill, You may be right. This HD is close to Haddonfield, a real foo-foo community, and Cherry Hill, which is mainly foo-foo. I'm on the other side of the tracks. I was surprised to find the Oakleaf hydranga and Fothergilla, too.

Guy, It never even occurred to me to tip the plant out and check the roots. Is it okay to do that?

E, Don't worry, there is no shortage of Burning Bushes or Barberry at this HD. And tons of Leyland Cypress. I didn't see any Bradford pears, but that's probably because they had been purchased earlier in the season. They're all over the streets here. One neighbor down the street removed three beautiful old Sycamores and replaced them with Bradford pears. She didn't like the mess made by the Sycamores' peeling bark!

Anyway, I've got the day off work and will check those roots this morning. If the digital camera's batteries are charged I'll snap a few picks of my haul.

Quoting:
Anyway, I've got the day off work and will check those roots this morning. If the digital camera's batteries are charged I'll snap a few picks of my haul.
Gonna rub it in, eh?

Yep. In fact, I'm thinking of taking your suggestion and

heading out to hit as many HDs as I could in one day.

Batteries are charging . . .

Beachwood, OH

White Hydrangea - check your local Home Depot or Lowes, ours has workshops almost continuously for both beginners and advanced adults in all kinds of DIY topics - painting, wallpaper, plumbing, carpentry etc. Both of those stores have a Kids Workshop once a month that my kids just love. HD starts out giving each kid their own orange HD apron. The workshops consist of a pre-cut kit with nails, screws, etc and they get to put it together. For each additional workshop the kids get a pin/badge to add to their HD apron. Somehow I'd rather hook them on this marketing technique than McDonalds or Disney.

Here's my haul.

Three blueberries . . .

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

Two Fothergilla . . .

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

A Kalmia and Viburnum . . .

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

And the Oakleaf hydrangea.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

All the roots look good except for the Viburnum.

Please excuse my Creeping Charlie problem.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Those roots don't look too bad. I would spread them out and cut any that really need to be cut, but you should be fine.

Equil, shopping at HD must be a exercise in restraint as you walk by all those invasive trees and shrubs. I remember Handy Andy, but was way to young to do any shopping or attending any workshops unless they involved star wars or GI Joe. Alyssa says a pretty good "tree" although you can detect a little Elmer Fud, but not much. She has been saying a solid "cone" for months since we went out to Big Sur and Sequoia. Looks like she will be into conifers when she grows up. I'll have to expand my fledgling collection for her sake.

Bill

Oregon City, OR(Zone 8b)

Big box stores don't offer much variety, do they.
I think many desirable trees and shrub species are just too fragile or tricky to grow, so they don't bother with those. I would suspect they stock the plants that are easiest to propagate, and have the highest survival rate, and have the bushiest appearance. It's all about the bottom line.
Most of the shrubs I see, even if they are dirt-cheap, I'd rather propagate myself, for free.
But yeah, those clearance sales are fun. I just bought an "inkberry" shrub and a boxwood for $1.50 each!

Agreed. Frankly, after the "rush" I got from this sale, I'm feeling a little wierd about my impulse purchase. When I think about it, I'd really rather encourage a good nursery with my money.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I heard a quote on a TV show where someone referred to another person as "Generic McPlainwrap". That sticks in my mind every time I go to a big box store around here. Even the big privately owned ones are like that. I do most of my buying from mail order native nurseries. There is a plant sale twice a year at the Mobile Botanical Gardens http://www.mobilebotanicalgardens.org/ that I attend where they have nursery stock from all over the southeast. That's where I got my 5gal Sourwood, 3gal Devilwood, and 3gal Sparkleberry.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

My problem is that I am rehabbing our 1923 bungalow and am at HD all the time so I can't help but check on their nursery stock and end up buying more than I should from there. If nurseries sold building materials, look out I would be bankrupt.

I am usually the first in line to bash HD plants, but some of them really aren't all bad. I think each store has a buyer for the nursery and some are better than others. The one by me in a nicer neighborhood has Japanese Maples all summer (many are mislabeled however so buyer beware), they had a good selection of grafted conifers this year as well as a handful of Rhododendrons that are actually truly hardy here (DO NOT TRUST THEIR LABELS). The HD that I used to live by in the city had a nice selection of cacti & succulents with the occasional rare one also. Bottom line is buyer beware, know what is hardy in your zone, and get them when they are fresh off the trucks before they can be neglected. Everything else get at good nurseries or mail order.

Bill

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Say willis_mckenna, does either word in your handle have anything to do with your name? Willis is my last name, we are a rare breed here in Alabama. lol

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Just a Mck, sorry. Willis is a nickname for Bill or William or slick Willy, etc. So I am just ordinary, dime a dozen, Bill McKenna.

Here is my baby, Alyssa "cones"

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna

Ahhh, what a cutie pie! She looks really proud holding her cone.

Oh Gawd is she beautiful! Great gene pool there in that little pretty!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, she is a cutie. I post a lot of photos of her over in the camping/hiking/boating forum. Here is one thread of the trip out west this spring.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/604206/

Bill

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

That's funny, William is my first name and Willis is my last. I seldom use my first name though.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I have been known to peruse the gardening section of Home Depot and I have occasionally given in to the urge. Earlier this year I was at my local HD and I saw some 'Alice' Oakleaf Hydrangea. I would love some more Oakleafs, but not ones the size of 'Alice'. These ones were stuck on the very top of a rack on a very hot and sunny day and they were completely flopped over.

A few days later I was back there and I saw what I can only assume was the same shipment of Oakleafs. Somebody had moved them into a better location and watered them and they actually looked pretty good. That was a bit of a wake up call to me because even if a plant looks good today, it does not mean that it was not on the edge of death yesterday. That type of abuse and stress cannot be good for a plant. I am sure that some HDs have a garden section filled with knowledgeable staff, but mine does not.

- Brent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.