Missouri Marble

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

there has been a lot of negative comments about Missouri Marble this last year
so i thought i would show my experience with it
last year i purchased one from Glass House & planted it out in the back yard in SoCalif.
after a summer of abuse from heat & bugs i took it into the GH/pottingshed & gave it some TLC over the winter
this spring i moved to the PNW & again i put it out side to enjoy the sun
it has been very happy here & growing like the weed it is :-)
in the last 2 weeks it has stated budding, the yellow arrows show the buds

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I would love to put my name in for seeds if you have any extra, I love the varigated leaves

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, Doris, you beat me to it. Dick, I'd never heard of a variegated dat! I would be ever so grateful for a few seeds to try next year.... Very pretty plant, too! Let me know what you are interested in and maybe we can trade, or SASE. Thanks for posting about this plant..-Bonnie

Cincinnati, OH

OOOOOOHHHHHHH. I really like that too. If you get any seeds, could I put in a request?

Kelly

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I just checked Anne's . They don't have any .If you get and give away seeds for postage or trade please add me .

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Very pretty! I just love the leaves! Excuse my ignorance, but what color will the flowers be?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

me 2... I would trade (I have named daylilies, clivias, columbine,,,) Elaine

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

IN lily, the pic says "light blue"..(bet it's light lavendar). We probably scared Dick out a here! lol Really Dick, you don't have to trade ifn' you don't want to... but I hope you get seeds anyway... please post, once it blooms, we would all love to see it!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi all
i will post more picts as the plant blooms &
i will pollinate & try to get seed but i have heard they not viable
these plants are from (TC) tissue culture if that makes any diff
in the past i have tried MM seed from other hobby gardeners
& been unsuccessful which is why i bought this plant

Dick

AuntB, if I could only read!!! LOL!! I didn't even read the little label on the plant. How silly!!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

No problem, INLily, I wasn't poking fun.... I do stuff like that ALL the time.... I am youth-impaired you know...lol My what patience you you have, Dick... Even if they aren't viable, please post pics when it blooms, and we're all sending positive blooming thoughts your way! Dick what are MM seed? Did I miss something? (age challenged, too). ;)

I know you weren't poking fun. It's just embarassing how often I do that kind of stuff!! I'll go to the grocery store, look at something, think I'm getting the flavor I want, and end up bringing home a different flavor.
I got it! "MM" "Missouri Marble."

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

thank you.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Wow, love it. Please post the flowers, If they are as beautiful as the leaves it will be an awsome plant. Thanks for sharing. Marie

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

here is pict from this morning 8/14/06
just starting to open
you can see hints of the flower color
also note the variegated buds

Thumbnail by Strever
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I love this one.

Well, Strever, I do believe you may be in a bit of trouble. If everyone who sees this plant wants one......you are in real trouble. lol. I just can't believe this plant. It is beautiful. Marie

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, Dick, how EXCITING! Have that camera ready! Post asap!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow I would love this one too. I love the varigated leaves. Anyone find it available on line?

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Marie, Bakersacres.com has them in their plant list... I hear they are very fragrant.... Wonder if Dick is taking a bloom picture for us to see?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

AuntB I came up with a camping site? (Looks like a fun place though) :o)

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

http://www.bakersacres.net/p_lists/annuals.pdf
but , I couldn't find it listed .

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Sorry, Tony, here's the link, bout 1/2 way down the right column:
http://bakersacresgreenhouse.com/annuals_small_page1.htm

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I couldn't find it either

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Here they offer as a "seasonal" plant for $25!
http://www.rareplants.com/trop-de.html

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I found it on that page but they DO NOT take orders you must go to store to get them

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I did read on the internet that they do not always come true from seed and may not be varigated

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Well, poo, we need to find the seed. I'd not pay $25 anyway, but that's just me, although I did spend $35 for lotus, $15 for a lily and $50 for an ee...

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Hmmm, I was searching some garden forums and read that it doesn't come true from seed that you must take cuttings.... ? Dick what do you think about that? Ever try the seed? Almost seems like a brug; overwintering in gh and taking cuttings... very interesting.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah I do not think I will be paying $25.00 either.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you . As said before they don't mail order and @ $25 is to much for a pig-in-a-poke [ that should bring back memeries ]
I'll keep looking and post if I find .

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

$25.00 is the going price for Missouri Marble http://rareplants.com/trop-de.html
it is my understanding they are all TC (tissue culture ) plants
which is the only way they can get any volume to sell = not cheap
i guess because there aren't any viable seed available ???
$25.00 is what i paid + shipping last year
my plant did just fine in the GH this last winter, & is now almost 2 years old
it has cooled down here in the last cpl of days & the flowering has slowed down
but i will show more picts as it opens & i will most definitely try to get seed from it
i have tried seed from other hobbyist in the past without success as noted above
i will try taking cuttings but there is no guarantee even then
but i have heard that the root system might continue with new growth each spring
only time will tell

Dick

This message was edited Aug 17, 2006 9:02 AM

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Dick, anxiously await more bloom pics.-B

Dick, I don't have a greenhouse and my garage gets to nearly freezing, so I have to bring my plants into the house. I display them in my living room window. People comment that I have a greenhouse in my house during the winter. I am going to try some of my dats in the house and see how they do. This is my first year trying this so I hope it will work especially for my double purple.

If you do take cuttings I would be glad to pay for one to help pay for the one you bought. Thanks, Marie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I was given seed of this plant and got all excited when I saw shoots but I had read my own labels incorectly, it was some other brugs that had germinated. I did not get one shoot from the seeds that I planted, which is unusual for Dats, and I believe the seeds were from a good source.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

rita I had same problem I purchased 10 seeds of this plant and nothing came up

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I think Missouri Marble is in a class of it's own. Doesn't germinate "true to seed", returns from the roots in hardy areas, winters over like a brug, not like a Dat that is treated as an annual.. very interesting, indeed.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Ill pay $25.00 fro a Brug but I dont know about a annual Dat. If is does come back from roots I may give it a second thought.
Dick, do you have any new pics?
Caren

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

as a matter of fact i do have a new pict
the first 2 blooms opened last nite :-)

Thumbnail by Strever

Nice blooms, Marie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.