Squash bugs... stink bugs?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Okay, I keep looking for info on this, but are squash bugs also dangerous to tomatoes? I ask b/c I've got two crookneck squash virtually covered w/ squash bug eggs. The plants are on their way out, as there's signs of vine borer damage. I maybe should pull them out now , or should I carefully squish all the eggs I find first? Because when the squash are gone, I assume they'll move to my cukes or tomatoes?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They will make little spots on over tomatoes where they stick thier beaks in to drink. The damage is mostly cosmetic, but still annoying. "Tomato fruits produced for the fresh market or the whole-pack market are usually culled if injured by stink bugs, due to yellow blotches on the fruit surface and white corky tissue beneath the peel." (Ohio IPM)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Heck yeh they'll move to your 'maters and cukes. I believe I'd yank the plants with bugs in tow and get them outta there. Maybe you can throw trash bags over the squash plants and then yank them out so you get as many stink bugs as possible in the bag?

Wishing you good luck.
Shoe.

Good to know! Thanks Shoe and Dill!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I hope that plant is long gone Zeppy! Next year there will be no squash planted near my tomatoes. Those leaves are just a breeding ground! For the preservation of my tomatoes I have learned what those suckers look like at all stages of life and ultimately - death.

Can you tell I have a 'thing' for that particular bug?

They're gone. It's a nasty one, for sure. I do hope I prevented the problem getting out of hand, but the tomatoes are such a jungle, I'd never find a squash bug. I think they do crawl up to the outer leaves to dry if you wet the plant down, though...

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Give the plant a good shake (if they are staked) see what falls and squish! Will the chickens eat them or are they even to stinky for them?

Man, wouldn't that be nice if they would. They'd rather eat the tomatoes, unfortunately.

I just picked a Black Krim w several squash bug nymphs on it. What should I do??? They're vulnerable right now... but to what?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Your thumb and forefinger! Okay, too many to squish...I use the Bonide® Rotenone Pyrethrin Insect Spray anything with Pyrethrin really. If you really have a serious infestation you will have to spray every few days but is should take care of the nymphs. Be sure to spray the ground around the stem also.

Spring, TX

I understand what you mean on the squash bugs. For the past four years we have been having problems with them and I spray and spray but it seems like they are immune to every thing. The only thing I finally had to do was go out there early in the morning and late in the evening and kill them one by one using a bowl of clorox and water. I would pick them off my veggie plants and throw them in the clorox and water and that would kill them but it was a lot of work . We have a pretty large garden. This year they started out on my roses and I still see them flying right now , not as bad but still see some. They also damage my tomatoes and other veggies too. And everyear they tear up my pomegrante tree so bad that I cannot even eat the fruit off of it. I spray the tree with the oil spray but that doesnot help.

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

Once my squash start growing in the Spring, I spray my plants while they are flowerig with Liquid Rotenone. I do it every two weeks until the fruit is starts to come. Once the fruit comes, I use Pyola Oil every 10 days to two weeks. I spray the soil around the plants, the leaves and the stems. This year I am having the best crop ever of zucchinni. You can get it at: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=596find it at: Give it a try next year. You can use it on all flowers and vegetables.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.