Chinch bugs

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Is there any way to get rid of them? Will the grass grow back or do I need to replace?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Being in Florida, you probably have St. Augustine Grass. Pretty much any insect & disease control product will handle chinch bugs. Just go to Lowes or Home depot and check out what they have .. you must make sure it says St. Augustine grasses on the bag!. If you don't already have a spreader, you will need one. I prefer the broadcast spreader over drop one. You don't have to walk as much. The grass will grow back.

The easy way to eliminate them is to call a lawn service and have them spray if the infestation is widespread.

X

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Mysharona, the grass will grow back once the chinch bugs are gone. But, they will come back if the grass is stressed. Too much fertilizer, over and under watering, and thatch can make lawns susceptible to chinch bugs .

If you just have a few areas, I would spot treat, that minimizes the impact on beneficials. Good bugs like the big-eyed bugs and pirate bugs feed on chinch bugs.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the information! I've done the spot treatment, hopefully I've stopped the problem before too much damage is done!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Another thing to remember is that chinch bugs like it hot, hot, hot, and dry, dry, dry. So that area of the lawn may not be getting enough water. (Check your sprinklers) They are usually found under those conditions, near a driveway, or street or house, where the sun reflects back onto the lawn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.