plants you hate in your garden

Murphysboro, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone:

I have several plants in my perennial/shrub beds that I have decided really must go because they are too prolific.

First, I have two 3yr old hardy hibiscus "southern belles" that have turned into the little shop of horrors plants. This year they each sent up at least 50 stems. I pruned about half out. I should have controlled the height of the remaining stems but I pinched them only once. The two clumps got over 6 feet tall and 6 feet wide. They flower heavily and mushy piles of spent flowers collect around the plants and in the street gutters in front of them. They are self-fertile, so they also fruit heavily, each fruit is about the size of a walnut if allowed to mature, and I can't keep up with the dead-heading they require. I imagine they are really competing heavily with my other shrubs for water and soil nutrients. Yesterday I pruned them heavily, ~75%. I'd like to give them away or move them somewhere else in the fall, but given their size, I'll need a bulldozer to dig them out.

Similar story with two clumps of Miscanthus in the same bed. The clumps are getting over 7 feet tall, and they haven't even sent up the flowering stalks yet. The clumps are also getting too wide and I find them almost impossible to dig out, even harder than the hibiscus. I like this grass, but I'm not sure its worth the work it would take to keep the clumps small.

Finally, I have acquired an extreme dislike of Agastache. Three of them ("honeybee blue") came in a perennial collection from Bluestone Perennials. They spread and reseed prolifically, get 4 ft tall, and the little color they produce is just not worth the space they take up in the bed. I pulled it all out today and will probably be pulling Agastache seedlings for years.

Who else has plants that seemed like a good idea but end up on your list of things to remove?

Sedonia

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Yarrow!! It absolutely took over and was smothering out its neighbors. Dug the whole thing out and gave it to a neighbor who needed an invasive plant. Surprisingly only a few fronds have reappeared and I pluck them out immediately.

Also, I unknowingly accepted an obediant plant from a neighbor. Haven't had to get rid of it tho. I moved it to a very inhospitable place and only water it once a month (if that) even during this awful drought. So far it is staying put.

And lastly, I am sooo tired of pulling up little 4 o'clocks! Hundreds of them! I do love the flowers but I don't know how much longer I can keep them in check.

This is my first post to his forum. Thanks for the opportunity to vent! (I am also going to post abt a problem with my Gerber daisies.)
Sherry

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Ugh, I must have a dozen sweeet box that the landscaper planted against my wishes last autumn. If they hadn't cost a fortune, out they'd go.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Earlier this year I pulled up a pickup load of Hesperis. Ugg. I know I'm going to be pulling that stuff up forever because the seeds can lay dormant for a long time.

I also have a Campanula thats become a thug. I think it's Elizabeth. It's spreading into a huge patch about 12 foot round and swallowing up it's neighbors.

I dug out all the yarrow last year, but there's still some that perseveres.

A couple years ago I bought a little 4" pot of Oriental Limelight Artemesia. Within a year it was creeping all over the bed, so I dug and dug and dug to get it all out, but it still pops up.

The columbine and lupines are all over the place too. They reseed to good for my liking, but I haven't dug them out yet. Still thinking about that one.

The shasta daisies are getting out of hand too.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Do weeds count?

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a Rosemary herb hedge now! This thing has spread out so far it's taking up all the room and nutrients from the other plants I have in this bed. It blooms only on occasion. This fall when the weather cools down it will be moved maybe out by the pasture fence or somewhere. It's too overpowering in the garden it's presently in.
Lin

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Cannas. I have several varieties, and they look good in spring. Period. Then they started getting leaf rollers that trash them out, followed by rust. And they spread like wildfire. I'm just not sure they're worth all the work. And I feel real bad about sharing them with unsuspecting souls when I have to dig them up to keep them in check.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

The previous owner of my house filled the flower beds with wildflowers. After 3 years of digging, and dozens of weedkiller applications, creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides?) is still sprouting from deep roots, and Oxe-Eye Daisy seedlings are still appearing. The jury is still out on Bloodroot, Violets, and Johnny-Jump-Ups, which are seeding themselves a bit too numerously. Don't get me wrong - I love wild flowers, but in the wild or in an uncultivated part of the garden, not in my flower borders.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

touch-me-nots. Oh my gosh. Fortunately, they are shallow rooted and I can snatch them up but I let them get out of control sometimes and O M G. they will eat the world. I'm not even gonna talk about that mallow that won't quit popping up. The first one, 4 years ago, was pretty. I had no idea they would reseed like they do. Then, there's morning glories. Gonna have to plant some Kudzu to see which one wins! LOL
Kathy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, I have previous owner woes, too. They never saw a ground cover they didn't like. So I hate wintercreeper and vinca major in particular. I also hate the vastly overgrown evergreens ractically inside the house.

And hardy geranium all over the place in the front. I'm like you, June. I don't mind the flower, but I don't like it at all in my front yard. There's plenty of more natural, woodland like areas in the backyard where it would be just fine. But the front yard should really look more like the rest of the neighborhood, versus the jungle it was when we bought the house. At least as far as my tastes go. :)

Of course some things I hate are my fault. I've got this thistle that has pretty blooms, but the plant itself is really ugly. And the blooms are not long enough lived to make it worth it.

And I know this is heresy to some, but I'm not particularly fond of daylilies or irises. I inherited a bunch of them, too. I don't dislike them enough to remove them, well okay, maybe the bearded iris a bit, but I don't go ga ga over them.

Good idea for a thread!

w

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

Here are my four biggest mistakes. I have been trying to get rid of them for years:
Thymus serpyllum - Creeping Thyme
Lysimachia ciliata "Firecracker" - Fringed Loosestrife
Oenothera speciosa - Showy Evening Primrose
Pennisetum alopecuroides "Moudry" - Black Fountain Grass

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Agastache: took years for us to eliminate.
Nancy - Sweet Beacon (hope I have that right) it's just like a weed.
Four O'clocks.
Lily of the Valley.
Aegopodium
Houttuynia - the day will never come when it's gone - out of here - to the dump - to the fireplace even - just get out!

Edited to correct the spelling of the horrible Houttuynia.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 8:33 AM

Elkton, MD(Zone 7a)

I hate agastache too. Hordes of bees were in a constant feeding frenzy on mine last year. I didn't dare try to pull it out. Couldn't get close enough.

And the wind spreads the seeds far and wide........everywhere, especially where they're not wanted. They need little Agastache birth control food.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Ewwww Maybe I better reconsider planting Agastache in my rock garden??? I thought it would be a good idea since they attract the flying pretties but I don't want it everywhere! lol It may not reseed that freely here in my zone. ?
Lin

It's good to read this. I've never grown some of these things, and it helps bunches to know what to avoid. Learn from others' mistakes, y'know. Interesting about Agastache - I had been thinking about it, but no more...

I think, after 9 years, I have finally rid the place of four o'clocks - shhh....

It's excellent that you're such an optimist, ceejaytown!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Okay, it's a bush, I guess, but the spiraea I have that sends up woody shoots to 15 feet away. AGHHHHHHH

Yikes! We've had one for about 14 years and never had that happen..........yet.

Doesn't it all feel like a suspense novel........"There's something lurking out there, just waiting for the right time to give you nightmares........."

Council Bluffs, IA(Zone 4b)

Yes - it is scary! But also very helpful - I have already snubbed out a couple of plants I had on my list!

Oh, well, it's better than just turning everything under and planting only grass. I like a little risk & aggravation in gardening. :)

Risk is a very good thing. Right now the various colored Amaranthus are about waist high and really are quite bold and beautiful. I just hope they don't reseed!

Horseradish is now confined to a huge pot, no hole. That thing roamed all over the vegetable garden but wasn't too much of a horror to get out.

Morning glory, however, is like a bad guest that doesn't know when to leave.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

My amaranthus was a heavy reseeder. Planted it once about 4 years ago and still get a seedling once in awhile. Never again

I knew it was too good to be true.

Should I remove the flowers when they arrive?

Oh, man! I planted amaranthus once. It was planted near the back of the property, and the ground sloped toward the front. Rain carried those seeds all the way, and amaranthus came up everywhere. Amen to never again. And I never have.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This agastache:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76286/index.html
Is not invasive down here--but a neighbor reports that the blue is a problem.

Doesn't invasiveness decrease a good deal with serious (deep) mulching?

In general, I mean? I hope....

Zeppy - or would the mulch be the perfect host for seeds???

My problem Agastache was the one that smelled like licorice. I put in on one side of the dog's pen, when we had two dogs, along with roses and other scented plants.

Cosmos was another that self seeded all over but a few years worth of picking and now we're safe.

Black eyed Susan is a royal black eye on the garden when it comes to seeds that must remain viable for 10 years, at least. I think (not sure yet) I got the last one.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Debbie for that link. I'll remember that.
I agree that this thread is very helpful. I'm learning a lot here. Some things I have crossed off my planting list.
Pirl you are too funny! We have the 'royal black eyes' here but they are not invasive. ;) I'm sure I will have a problem with my 4'oclocks. Didn't know they can pop up everywhere.

Dancey - we'll see how well my sense of humor holds out if these Amaranthus start self seeding.

Help! Would I be best off to remove the flower heads on the Amaranthus as they form? Thanks.

Beachwood, OH

Campanula Cherry Bells - very hard to pull out too. I like the bells but they are tough little boogers to get out once they get started. This is my current nemesis - besides weeds

Of course Aegopodium and Houttuynia - the only solution is Round Up or vinegar poured on them. Former owner actually planted aegopodium - its been 3 yrs and its back again right now.

Trollius - I guess its wild, it is rampant and spreads like crazy on runners. Started out cute with those little yellow flowers. If I'd only known.

wild strawberry - started as an ornamental - never, never plant this stuff, it is everywhere and has leaped over to the edges of the woods. The berries are not very sweet either so I don't even know if the wildlife likes it that much.

Lemon Balm - in the mint family - need I say more?

Malva - get thee away. It never stands up and looks nice anyway, just flops everywhere and has 1 million seeds per pod

Hesperis - but fortunately its very easy to pull. I usually let a couple plants go to seed so it pops up around the woods - its pretty early in the year as a larger plant - but then it has to get pulled up.

I let verbena bonariensis re-seed on purpose and have planted them around the edges of the woods for the buzzing and flying wildlife. At least its easy to pull. Ditto milkweed, rudbeckia, and the perennial sunflowers. These plants are adored by the goldfinches so I'm willing to have them around the edges of the yard and woods, but they just go crazy if you leave them for the birds in the flower beds.

For the Obedient Plant - try Miss Manners or White Snow I think its called - it is really not very invasive

Zeppy - You're 6b, so some of these problems may not be a problem for you. But don't quote me on that. LOL
pirl - Yes, removing the flowers would definitely stop the reseeding. :-D Or you could look at it this way: You'd definitely have a lot to exchange at a RU! (If they'll take them.) LOL

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

another one for me is Morning glory.This one I love the flower but it reseeds very heavy. I thought being this far north it wouldn't reseed that heavy. More fool me!!!! To me it is worth it though. Next year I'll use preen. I'm still pulling up starts and it's aug.!!!!!!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

ves522,You read my mind!!.Morning Glory is the main one I can no longer tolerate.4 Years ago I planted bright red ones and blue ones(Very Pretty) clear over by a trellis on one end of our property.4 years later I am still constanly pulling them out all over and they aren't even the color the started out as.The whole west edge of my garden along my garage up to the windows.Vining all over everything.Even the trees! They aren't even pretty anymore.Just a light pinkish purple when they bloom with much smaller blooms than the originals.If I could go back and undo one thing it would be to never have planted them in the first place.What a nightmare!.Cedar

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Uh Oh! I am a little stressed to hear that your Trollius is a problem alyrics. I bought one last year and so far it's been good, but we've also been very dry. Given a good year and it might not be so well behaved. :( I'll watch it close now though. Thanks for the heads up.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I was just lamenting that my trollius has hardly grown in 4 years. It has no babies. Is this a regional difference? I deadhead pretty regularly. Anyone know?

I don't know, Dave, but only have one and that arrived in May.

Beachwood, OH

My back gardens and hosta gardens get quite full and overgrown by this time of year, leaving lots of cover down on the ground for the creepers to go along to seek any dampness. Just yesterday I found a whole big planting of Trollius up under a huge Heliopsis that is doing its seasonal flopping. I find that if any part of the root is left behind it will pop up again. If its in a dryer location, it can be nicely contained, if it's damp - look out. But it does need some sunlight also so if its damp and shady it really just flops and doesn't do much. Thats been my experience anyway.

In my last house we had a water seep that kept a part of the back yard very moist - in the sunny areas the Trollius was in heaven.

Edited to add - Trollius always did best for me in the same kind of location that a Tradescantia would like. If it dries out they seem to just stop growing.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2006 8:07 AM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think the trick with trollius is to keep it in regular garden soil, not too rich, and not too much moisture, although they don't do well if dried out.

Pirl, they have a new catmint, Nepeta Super Cat, that resembles an agastache. Super Cat is about 48-52 in tall, with 8 in blue spikes. And catmint would smell nicely by the dog pen. Since it's a hybrid, I doubt it will seed too much. It's something new from Walters Gardens. Part of the Cat series.

http://www.waltersgardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1564

Thanks for the great idea. Our Harry, however, prefers to keep the dog's pen spotless (how's that for being PC?) and I can't squeeze in another bulb no less a catmint but my daughter will love the idea for her garden (and her cat). Thanks so much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.