crushed palm and dolomite, where can I get it?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I am experimenting with planting several different species of aloes from seed. I'm getting them from made-in-afrika.com. (Very informative and fascinating website). They recommend crushed palm for a neutral medium that remains moist for a long time. Then when the little darlings are ready to be potted, crushed dolomite is recommended for a 50/50 mix with potting mix for good drainage. I want to use the best there is to get these guys to grow well. (and grow they do, some to be over 3 meters high) Anyone know where I can get either of these items?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Never heard of " crushed palm". Do you think they meant parts of the coconut fiber? Only thing I can think of.

Fulton, MO

I've never heard of crushed palm either. Good thought, TL, maybe coir.

The closest I have been able to get locally to dolomite (calcium-magnesium carbonate) is dolomitic lime, commonly available at garden centers for use on the lawn. I don't think that this is what you are after. This product is fairly soluble; when present in quantity, then wetted, it solidifies into a big hunk until it dissolves completely. I do incorporate small quantities in some mixes to neutralize acidic soil.

I'm not an aloe grower, but I do have one aloe growing well in 25% CHC, 25% Promix, 25% rotted manure, 25% turkey grit. Turkey grit is widely available. It is generally crushed limestone and so it should help neutralize an acidic growing medium.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for your input, I'll try the calcium mg carbonate and the turkey grit!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.