Hydrangea in Pots

Jefferson, NH(Zone 3b)

I would like to plant 2 hydrangeas in large pots at the entry way to one of my gardens. I am looking at either Tardiva ot White Dome as the variety. Here in New Hampshire I am in zone 4a. What is everyones ideas on how they will over winter in the pots?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are you planning to protect them in some way for the winter? Generally if you're growing something in pots and leaving them outside all year they're going to tend to be less hardy than they would be if they were in the ground, so you shouldn't try it unless the plant is good to at least a couple zones colder than you are. You're pretty close to the bottom of the hardiness zone for these plants, so I think you could have trouble unless you can protect them somewhat. I would recommend if you can, dig a couple holes in the garden at the beginning of winter, sink the pots in the ground, and then mulch thoroughly around them. If you can't do that, then either bring them in the garage or wrap tons of burlap or something around them.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I doubt they would winter over above ground in pots. Can you sink the pot in the ground, and mound leaves on it for the winter? That should do it. Do you get significant snow cover? They will have a better chance of making it if you do, but not above ground. You are really at the end of their hardiness zone, and they will do best in the ground. If you want a more formal look, how about making standards of the Tardiva?.

Jefferson, NH(Zone 3b)

Thanks for your coomets guys. The pots I am using are cast iron caldrens that are already half submerged in the ground. This entrance is somewhat protected as it is near the front of the house. I think I will try a combination of your suggestions. I already wrap exburry azealas heavily to protect them so I think I can handle 2 more fall chores. Again thanks I love this site

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.