Hooded Pitcher Plants

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello DGers, I'm still relatively new to the site. I finally gave in and bought myself a subscription. I'm not huge into carnivorous plants; I'm more of a bromeliad addict. I do love natives though, and I was looking through many of the posts on here to learn about pitcher plants. I also have seen sundews while out hiking around the area and they really did leave an impression. Today I went hiking in the Brooker Creek Headwaters Preserve here in Tampa with the intention of getting some photos for you carnivorous plant lovers. Sadly, I didn't find any sundews today (maybe it's too hot for them too!). After having no luck, I went to a different part of the preserve. I braved the hot weather and walked into several giant spider webs (ewww) but it was worth it because I saw some hooded pitcher plants. There were actually several good clumps of them.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's some more pics...

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Some more...

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ready for his close up...

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

And finally...

Thumbnail by mellielong

Brave mellielong! Brave! I love Sarracenia minor.

Welcome to our little corner of the world which hasn't been all that active these days.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks! Check out the spider whose web I ran into! It was weird, when I took off my hat to get the web off, the web was orange. Isn't that weird? It didn't look orange hanging up, but when it balled together it was. I saw two more of these scary guys. One of them had another spider in its web which I thought was strange. It was moving too so I don't think it was lunch. The only good part about the webs was I could find my way back based on where I had run through them. Oddly enough, the pitcher plants made good trail markers too.

Thumbnail by mellielong

Quoting:
The only good part about the webs was I could find my way back based on where I had run through them.
I happen to like spiders but then the one you photographed isn't poisonous so that helps. I think it's funny that you found your way back by downed webs.

eeeewwwww! I like spiders, but from a little farther away! Very cool photos, though!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I really hate spiders and think the only good spider is a dead spider. How big is that spider? That picture almost makes me want to run screaming.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Glad I'm not the only one that's afraid of that thing! It was probably about 3-4 inches from one leg to the other. What freaked me out was when it started waving one leg like it was taunting me.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Mellie, I can almost see that spider shaking a leg at you. If it even looked at me I would have run.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.