Crepe Myrtle

Lady's Island, SC(Zone 9a)

I have three CMs that were planted by a landscaper when I first moved in four years ago. They are quite tall, but have NEVER bloomed. I have faithfully pruned each winter, and the new growth is healthy and vigorous, but never a bloom. I don't even know what color they are. Any suggestions????

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i just transplanted some this past winter off a construction job hubby did and they are not blooming like others in town but did bloom some. a few didnt bloom due to heat killing the buds.

pruning can kill buds for next season if done at the wrong time. and severe pruning can too. also most myrtles produce blooms on old growth. i was told to prune before new growth starts like in early spring. and not to prune every year. if needed just prune to shape dont cut back to truck which will destroy blooms for next season.

and i personally fert. them with miracle grow. and today i found out from a tree expert here the more sun the happier they are which might explain why mine are only half blooming. they are in shade part of the day.

hope this helps.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

When do you prune? I prune when they stop flowering. If you prune them in late winter that will screw them up, don't ask me why. If I was you I would not prune them at all this year and see what happens. If they flower you know the pruning time is the problem. You can cut a third off a CM no problem BTW.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

The local extension office here calls pruning Crape Myrtles --- Crape MURDER! LOL!!

You don't have to prune them! No really! :) They will bloom just fine the next year. I know it does help keep their size under control if that's what you're going for though.

Good luck!!!!

Nicole

Lady's Island, SC(Zone 9a)

For the first couple of years, I didn't prune, then I was told to prune late winter, which I did. So far, neither plan has worked!!
I'll try leaving them alone this year and see what happens.
Thanks for all the advice.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe they just don't like where they are!! You better send them to me!!! JOKE!!! :)

Nicole

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How about their location? I have watched landscapers in my neighborhood and they plant them in the most innappropriate places. They need sun and lots of it to bloom well.
What they don't need a lot of is food; too much promotes leaves vs. flowers.

Also, the landscapers tend to plant generic CM's. There are several web sites litsting CM varieties by flower color, height, shape, bark color, resistance to insects and diseases. You can find the perfect CM for you with these resources. I'll try and find the sites and list them ASAP.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

OK, here is one of my favorites
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/trees/crapemyrtle/crape_myrtle_varieties.html

Clemson also has an excellent site for CM's but I can't seem to bring it up this morning; I think they must be having trouble with their server. The address is supposed to be:
http://clemson.edu/crepemyrtle

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

ardesia, yes! Clemson is an excellent resource for CM's!

Here is the link you were trying to post. (You mispelled 'crape' and it wasn't recognized by the mispelling.)

http://www.clemson.edu/crapemyrtle/

As for pruning or not, I tend to prune to propagate/root the branches. Or also to clean up the interior of the tree.

Shoe.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Mine don't bloom heavily, but that's because they don't get enough sun in my yard. They do best in hot, blazing sun -- that's why you see them planted in medians and beside side walkways.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.