Hot, Hot, Hot!

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

My special mixture of chicken poop, scrap hay and vegetable trimmings (5 days old) is at 160 degrees! My two week old bin in 130 degrees and my 1st turnings are running between 110 and 120:

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

I use scrap pallets and bungie cords to hold it all together and cover with an old rubber mat to hold in the heat and moisture.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2006 12:03 PM

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

After about 2 to 3 weeks, I turn it, add water if necessary. Here it is a couple of weeks after the first turning -- the white mold is a good thing.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Bin 2 from a far.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Phoenix, AZ

I'm new to this. Is that a thermometer specifically for compost? Where would I get one?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes but it looks just like a meat thermometer with a longer stem and different temperature range. I think I got mine at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008Z9ZH/sr=8-1/qid=1154797880/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8373145-3478555?ie=UTF8 . Here's a listing from "Froogle"
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=compost+thermometer&btnG=Search+Froogle

You don't really need a thermometer since you can tell by feel. If it's around 160 degrees you can't hold your hand in it. If it just feels warm / not hot, its probably ready to turn. If it doesn't get hot after a few days, something may be wrong (not enough moisture, too much moisture or not enough 'green' nitrogen). When you turn it, put the outside edges in the center of the new pile. You can add some extra nitrogen at the first turn, if your original pile didn't get warm enough. If it get's too warm and ammonia smelling, you could be losing nitrogen to atmosphere. Add more water and straw to cool it down. Top with dirt to absorb ammonia. If the smell is sour / fermenting it probably doesn't have enough air. Mix and/or add straw.

Phoenix, AZ

Great info! Thanks :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.