Yikes! Massive cucumber die-off....

Reno, NV

Any ideas,folks?This started this week after a record setting July where 100 degrees was the norm.
It`s down to the low ninties now.

Thumbnail by otisotis
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm not an expert, but it looks just like the bacterial wilt the cucumber beetles carry. Have you seen many of those beetles? Small, yellow and black striped or spotted?

Reno, NV

hI:No sign of critters.It may be sun scald?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

That seems pretty extreme for sunscald, especially in this family of veggies. They're not reviving with the milder temps, or with water?

Edited to add: you'd see the beetles actually in the blossoms.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2006 11:11 PM

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Have you checked the stems for the squash vine borer? Cucumbers are usually not attacked, but that doesn't mean that they are never attacked...And wilting and die off are symptoms.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2153.html

This message was edited Aug 19, 2006 9:51 PM

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

It looks like some type of wilt to me. Could be bacterial, viral or fungal.
How to the stems look at the point of wilt? Do you see any insect activity at the base of the stems? You may want to cut a few of the stems open at the point of wilt to see if there are any larvae hiding in there, or see if you notice anything else about the stems condition that you help you identify the cause.

Dripping Springs, TX(Zone 8b)

I have had vine borers attack cucumbers especially burpless variates I think the stalks are softer check the base of the plants from the ground to about a foot up .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.