Suggestions Needed

Thomson, GA

I want some flowering plants for the wooded area at the front of my yard. I'm trying to visualize what would look good and be easy to maintain. I have started a little trail that I have planted some assorted azaleas on either side, but I would really like some things that will multiply. Wouldn't mind if it filled up that shady area. (I'm a lazy gardener.) I will probably do lots of daffodils this winter, but they are so short lived. What will bloom in dappled light and shade next late spring and summer? There is a mixture of a few pines, dogwoods, oaks, sweetgum, one weeping willow and (the dreaded) mimosa. So there is some sun in the early spring, just not much at all right now.

I have planted all along the sunnier edge already, with little beds of daylilies, dahlias, asiatic lilies and glads, and azaleas in a semi-circle around my garden bench and bird bath. (My favorite place in the yard.) It's about 20 degrees cooler under that little canopy of trees!

My neighbors all think I'm nuts, I'm sure, but gosh, they've been here for ever and I just moved here a year ago. So their yards are full of beautiful flowers and I want them, too!!! I just don't want to have to wait for years to enjoy them. Thanks!
Susan

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Have you thought about hellebores? They are sturdy little plants and do multiply on their own. They are "critter" proof and don't need a lot of water.........a real plus!! Any of the hostas or ferns would also do well in dappled light. I am also a lazy gardener and only buy perennials now. I do fill in with a few impatiens and caladiums here and there.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Hostas

Thomson, GA

A friend suggested that I look for some of the brighter plants that are like the lime green or chartreuse color. She said I didn't necessarily need blooms to brighten it up under there. That's probably not a bad idea. I have already started planting some of the variegated hostas in the areas that have a little sun; hope they make it through the heat. I have some brightly colored caladiums, too. I just want some more "flowers" instead of just colorful plants.

Bugme, the hellebores are beautiful, I may look for some of those. Thanks for the suggestion!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Deer love hostas so hope you don't have a problem with them. I think ferns are safe as well as hellebores. I use a bird net over my one hosta now since they killed my other two.

Thomson, GA

There are too many dogs running loose (not mine) around here for the deer to be much of a problem, thankfully. I haven't seen any evidence of a problem in the last year, at least.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have helebores and don't like them. The bloom doesn't want to show it's pretty face. Droopes to much for my liking. I would pull them if it wasn't for the wife liking. Also they normally bloom when nothing else is blooming. So it takes a lot to make an impression.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

I like the hellebores for the very reason Georgiared doesn't.........funny about that! They hide their pretty blooms and you have to lift them up to see them.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm a hellebore lover, too. It's wonderful to look out at the Feb/Mar greyness and see them hearty and green and blooming their little hearts out. You can either cut the blossoms as they turn chartreuse and begin to make seed pods (they still look nice in their chartreuse "skirts" to my eye) or you can let them seed cute little hellebore babies and pot 'em up for friends. ....Or, you can make more hellebore beds for free! Georgiared is right that you need a bed of at least seven for impact. We love our fern garden, too, but hellebores are just special--my DH loves 'em, too, so it's not just a girl thing. They aren't cheap, so look for them at plant sales or the swap. Sheila

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.