Black spots on peony leaves

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I have 4 peonies that have developed black spots on the leaves. They bloomed heavily in June with clean leaves. They are well established (8 to 10 yrs.) I've never had this problem before. I don't think its botritis ( though I may be wrong). I garden organically. The bushes were cut back and cleaned up last fall. Its been very hot and humid here past 2 weeks. Can this contribute to the problem? There has been no sign of mildew either before they bloomed nor after. I deadheaded promptly (after I cut some for vases) . I would greatly appreciat any help with this. I would hate to lose them. (One in particular has sentimental value) Thanks, Gloria

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I don't know what to do either. Some of my peonies have blackspot. I'll be watching this thread to find out.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A bit of information about Botrysis I found on the web:

While peonies are generally pest-free the most common problem is an airborne fungus, botrytis, which will occur under certain cool, moist spring conditions. It can turn leaves and spots on stems brown and then blacken and dry up small buds. The best way to keep it in check is to provide good air circulation around peonies, use good foliage cleanup practices and trim off infected parts when first noticed (dispose of into the garbage; don't compost!) and combine with several foliar sprayings of a copper-based fungicide (Kocide or Micro-Cop are two available brands). Botryis rarely, if ever, is so damaging as to affect the basic root or its survivability

carol

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Google cladosporium in peony. Or just go here and read #32

http://www.paeonia.com/html/about_peonies/about_peonies.htm#32

Diann

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link Ticker. The spots do look like cladospurium. Perhaps they need more breathing room because we've had some pretty hot humid weather.I'll lay down compost in the fall & move out some other plants. Where I'll put them....I have no idea right now. The peonies bloomed heavily this year. Truly beautiful.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I had these spots on my peonies, every hot and humid season, they would be there. Then I sprayed them with a fungicide of neem oil, along with the ground around them. It didn't take it away for that year, but it killed it and I haven't seen crop up on them since and its been 2 seasons. I think it harbored in the mulch and just the ground around the plant and by spraying around the plant, it got it all.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

is this heaven, what proportions of neem oil did you use to your other ingredients?
This is the first yr. that I have noticed it on my peonies and wonder why as we are extremely dry, but have had many days of high humidity.
And only some plants were affected.

Thanks for answering my enquiry.

Louisville, KY

I'm new to this sight, so bear with me. Just wanted to add that here in Kentucky I had the same problem with my peonies this year. The black spots. I hoping it hasn't hurt their roots. We have had a lot of humidity this summer. Before the black spots my three peony bushes blooms were gorgeous, I would put them in vases around the house. I haven't yet cut them back, and never have in the fall. So should I cut them down since the black spot this year?

Thumbnail by Dubbles3
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

If it's Cladosporium it won't hurt your peonies. I'd cut them back after the first hard frost or late October. Good clean up helps with Cladosporium. So does spraying with a fungacide (see Is This Heaven's post above). :)

Diann

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes & yes again!! Hot & humid here & this is the first season I've seen this. Ticker, I have always cut back in the fall, but will be extra careful about clean-up. They bloomed so heavily that I thought "well, no problem". Well, with gardening there is really "no problems". I new that. Duh! I look forward to Peonia blooms every year, as that is truly the start of the growing season. Question: Can I spray with Neem oil in the spring or not wait & do it in the fall after I've cut back the foliage? Which is best? Or both? Thanks, Gloria

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Is This Heaven, when did you spray your neem oil? :)

Diann

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I sprayed them in the summer, probably in August... the black spot was running rampid and I was concerned it would damage the plant. I had black spots all over them, and it continued every year when it got really hot and humid. I bought the fungicide at Walmart and I mixed it according to the directions. I used a garden sprayer, and sprayed the whole plant. Thinking it was something that was harbored in the soil around, I sprayed all around the bush on the ground as well. Like I said up there... it doesn't make the black spots go away, however, I haven't had a problem since and its been 2 season since I sprayed. The spots were on my hydrangeas as well, same scenerio.. sprayed the plant and all around it... nothing has shown since.

I will look later to get the brand of the fungicide, I remember it contained neem oil, but thats all I remember. Since I haven't had a problem, I haven't used it again.

BTW... I mow my peonies down in very late October after they show much dying back. I've know someone that mows them down right after they bloom and they come back and bloom every year.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Heres a picture of the bottle.. the brand name is Schultz

Thumbnail by IsThisHeaven
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey, thank you! I just might have to breakdown and get some of this for fall.. ;)

Diann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.