plastic source?

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi all! I have a 6X6 hobby greenhouse that I need to replace the plastic on. I would like to find 6 mil uv-protected plastic. I was hoping to find this more locally so that I could avoid shipping costs....does anyone know of a source in the Houston, Austin, or Dallas areas? Or does anyone have a good online source recommendation? I also need to get a shade cloth if anyone has a good source for that as well. Thanks all for your help!

Kim

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've bought plastic from Charlie's Greenhouse (mail order) before--don't know if it was the 6 mil or not but they had a number of different kinds. Also not sure if their prices are the best--they had a good rating in Watchdog and they had what I needed so I ordered without shopping around.

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I have always reordered specific size cover from Gardner's Supply. The are in the Watchdog. With plastic like with produce "the fresher the better". This stuff has limited life and streches better and lasts longer if it hasn't been on a shelve for years. Gardners Supply is usually lower in price so compensates for the shipping. They have sent us the wrong size but replaced instantly, sent a letter to apologize and a discount coupon for next purchase. My husband built our greenhouses with pipe leftover from an auction that he got for hauling it off. Needless to say they are not a standard size. We have been very happy this Gardner's Supply.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I looked at Charley's but they were selling it at 6' wide, and my GH is just 6' wide so I would need it to be a little wider than that. As for the Gardener's supply, I cannot find any mention of GH plastic on their website. Did you order it online or through a catalog?

Thanks for all your help! Kim

Fulton, MO

You might check here: http://www.hummert.com/catalog.asp?C=65&SC=24

Greensboro, AL

www.growerssupply.com has an overstock and damaged section which includes greenhouse plastic. I would talk to someone there to insure there will be enough for your greenhouse.

Greensboro, AL

re: growerssupply for greenhouse plastic. Greenhouse plastic is under the left hand menu 'Greenhouse Covering & Panels'. the plastic is called "greenhouse film' It is 6mm, 4 year 10 ft wide, $1.05/ft. Don't forget you will want to double it. Do you have a blower? A sandwich of air adds insulation and makes the film last longer. It will last a lot longer than 4 years barring a tornado or other damage.

Dont forget to also check out "Closeouts and overstocks" on the menu. These are smaller pieces that are marked down. May be just what you need.

You may need battens to attach the film to the ends and base of the greenhouse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.