free bricks?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Anyone heard of any place/person trying to get rid of bricks? Seems to be a high demand item!

Thomson, GA

There's an ad in our local shopper paper (the iwanta) for free brick, must take grout, whatever that means. "BRICK FREE used must take groute, call Kim Phone: 706-951-6613." Of course, there was a "wanted" ad as well, looking for brick for garden use. The website is www.iwanta.net. Probably kinda far for you, though, looks like an Augusta cell phone number.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

If it's Augusta I'd spend more in gas than it'd be worth. Thanks though! I was just wondering if there was some kind of secret place to get free bricks from. Like weknockdownbrickhouses.com... or something. lol

This message was edited Aug 4, 2006 5:30 PM

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Try calling some of the construction companies around your area. They might be looking for someone to haul them off.
BTW Hello Angie, hot enough for you?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Dunno, spending so much time in my hidey-hole at work that I hardly see the sunshine! I guess I'll be able to comment on monday though, since I plan to spend the weekend doing house chores and cleaning up the yard. You're probably worse off down there than I am up here!

Thomson, GA

LOL, I used to work for a residential builder - On occasion our buyers wanted that "distressed" look for their fireplaces, and we would buy used brick from a man that did salvage work. I often wondered if he got paid to remove the salvage and then sold the salvage, or if he did the job for salvage. The brick was NOT cheap, almost as much as the new brick. I would second the idea about visiting construction sites, if the bands are broken on the loads of brick, the suppliers won't pick them up for credit. Worth a shot!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

How much you reckon a brick weighs? I can haul 1200lbs. It'd be no fun to carry home 20 bricks at a time. lol jk

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Angie, have you thought about posting a want ad on Craigslist.com?
Brenda

There have been tons of ads on both craigs list and freecycle for people asking for bricks. I just scout my area. Drive around and see if you can find someone re-doing their chimeny, having an addition built and there is removal of old foundational bricks. I've gotten LOADS of bricks...however, you want to make sure they are old brick that has been properly baked and not the cheap bricks which are more orange and flake quickly.
The problem with getting old bricks is definately the grout. The older, the better chance the brick has gone sandy and then you can just brush off all residue with a nice stiff metal bristle brush.

GGG

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

Using recycled bricks to build anything, if done right, looks great. I have seen offices built with reused bricks and they were gorgeous!

Thomson, GA

I agree, the old brick is beautiful. Even some of the new brick has been fired to look "old". I want to make a little brick area near the wooded area in my front yard where my garden bench and bird bath are. I have seen some wonderful ones done with recycled brick.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yeah, craigsslist is flooded Brenda. :( I did think of something though, I'm such an idiot! My new next door neighbor is a retired brick mason! lol I'll bet I've got a connection there somewhere! Duh!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.