I'm new here...not Dave's just the Japanese Maple forum

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll be asking everyone lots of questions,
if you gals/guys don't mind helping me get started :?)

I just became hooked on Japanese maples in the last few weeks...I've always wanted a couple,but saw the prices of some larger ones at Lowe's and it stopped me dead in my tracks...I couldn't afford those at $150.00 each..lol..so I never bought any...:-(
Mom is coming into a little extra money and is going to help me start a small nursery/greenhouse...that doesn't have anything to do with my questions...I'm just all excited about it and have to tell everyone...heehee

Anyway I think I became super hooked when I started buying heuchera's,hosta's,ect...Shade and partial shade plants in gerenal..it's opened a whole new world for me,I'm so excited!!!!
Imagine weeding in the shade..that itself sounds awesome..lol..

I'll need names of good nurseries to buy them from...good/great sellers on e-bay( like to go to auctions...need reasonable prices only...so I have to start with smaller trees.. they grow big in a few years right??
Anyway...I plan to start collecting them...just like my roses and daylilies and my new hosta and heuchera collection,shade plant collection...How would it be complete without some japanese maples...heehee

I bought 2
Margaret Bee
MOONFIRE
from (jherter) on e-bay..I received them and liked them...:-)

So I tried a different seller
I bought two
SHISHIGASHIRA "Lion's Head"
ORIDO NISHIKI
from (laceleafmaples)...they cost a bit more but maybe they were supposed to...
I'm not sure how much they should cost...:-) but I was happy with them also...

Now I must have at least 20-25 on my 'must have list'...heehee
The more I keep looking at the awesome colors and shapes...
the list just keeps getting longer and longer..lol..

Oh I also just bought more at auction or Buy it Now from (jherter)
(2)-2' Acer Palmatum Atropurpurea for $12.00 is that to much? since they are common?

Are all the ones I bought good trees?
another question..what is a good graft? what is the difference between a good one and a bad one if there is a difference?

:o) Thanks,Jody

Here's a photo of my new Margaret Bee Purple Japanese Maple

Thumbnail by JodyC
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

How much space do you have for your trees? Some do well in containers, others will outgrow in a few years. What is your sun/shad conditions?

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome Jody. I've seen you other places and it's a nice thing to see a new face here!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I have all kinds of room 43+ acres...I have 15 acres of woods and my trailer is in the wide open sun..I have planted a lot (15-20) of the fast growing trees (maples,weeping willow,curly willow and some of those super trees,I think they are some sort of fast growing Poplar..I'm getting ready to start planting the slower growing hardwood trees and blue and white spruces in between them,so when they get to big and we get some pretty good winds here,they will start breaking at least that's what I heard through the grapevine..lol.. around the trailer to help my air-conditioning bill during the summer,but it will still be a couple years before they start doing any good shading the trailer and you know trailers are like tin cans..my poor air-conditioner runs constantly all but at night from the beginning of June to Late August...and the bills kill me..my winter bils are about 1/4 of what they are in the summer...
Not much does good in containers here it gets to cold...:-( to bad but every year I plant lots of things in containers but they all have to be moved into the ground in mid Sept.
Anyway I have all the room I could even need for any plants...
My brother-n-law is coming with his bobcat to clear me about 1/8-1/4 acres behind the house and to the west right on the side of the woods wither next weekend or the weekend after...I have so many (shade)plugs/plants from joining and doing co-ops... I have to have a shade garden now..lol...
I think some do okay with just filtered light and some need more or less sun right? oh I wrote another book sorry..I blabber sometimes...Thanks ahead of time... :o)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds as if you have plenty of room to put in some trees. And yes, some like sun and some don't. Some are happier in Zone 5 than others. I think that there have been some threads on that if you look back in the threads.

Trees are great air conditioners, that's for sure. And beautiful too.

And I don't personally know where to get any tree for under $12.00 so I wouldn't worry about that one.

As far as the grafts, you'll have to wait for someone more knowledgable comes along. There are a few around here who know what they are doing in that arena.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow, what a nice amount of space to be able to fill up with beautiful trees. I will defer to those more knowledgeable than I on how to fill it...just know that is useful info!

Laura

Ocean Springs, MS

Jody, in reference to Old Blush rose that you promised to send in May. Read my dmail. Please send stamps back to me please. I have been very patient about this "offer gone wrong." If you need my address, I'll send it to you. thanks, julie

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

First a little trick I've learned ...I NEVER buy from ebay ...if I see a seller I like to check out I google them up and find on the internet and buy from their web site ...it is often MUCH cheaper and you can get larger stuff. As far as dealers d-mail or email me myersphcf@aol.com and I will give you some good reputable etailers of larger stuff that they can ship at reasonable prices.

Moonstorm is known as an early budder so you might get frost damage on that one in your area...otherwise a nice tree but I have stayed away from it personally...for that reason ...David

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 11:38 AM

Ocean Springs, MS

Jody, haven't received my rose yet or the stamps in refund from agreement we made in June. Please be a dear and either send the rose or refund my stamps. julie

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Jody! - sending you a D-mail.

conifers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.