What and when to plant

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure where to post this but I'm hoping the is the right place. How do you know when to plant all the different plants in your area? Is there a list some where that lists the different kinds of plants with their times to plant?

Thanks,
Jesse

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

That's a fairly broad question. Is there something in particular that you have in mind? Generally, you don't plant annuals until after the last frost date in your zone. Perennials that are hardy to your zone, can be planted almost anytime, but usually in the spring or fall. Peonies usually aren't available until fall. Spring flowering bulbs are planted in the fall. Summer flowering usually in the spring. Lilies can be planted anytime the ground is not frozen. Does this help at all?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Jesse--

FYI Here's the web page I use to determine when the last frost date is for different areas--generally you can plant after that, as beaker suggests.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/index.html

If you are talking about planting 'seeds' then perhaps you will want to look at the 'propagation' forum or the 'Wintersowing' Forum.

In general, if you see a plant at your nursery that looks healthy and you like it, ask the nursery staff if it's a good time to plant it...and they can advise you, too. If it's burning hot out (like now) it's generally not the best time to be planting.

If you have ideas about what you would like to have in your garden but want more info, ask away! I am sure there are lots of DGers who have experience or answers to help you.

Good luck. t.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Tabasco just reminded me of something. Basically, you can plant plants almost anytime as long as the weather permits. However, a common mistake made by newbies is to plant right away in full sun. Whenever you bring plants home that have not been exposed to full sun before, you need to slowly acclimate them to their new environment. I usually take a week or so with a plant, gradually moving it, in their pot to more and more sun. When I think it might be good to go, I place the pot where I plan to plant for a few days. If it looks like there's no effect from being in full sun, I plant. If the plant begins to suffer, I move it back to a shadier location. Also, you need to recognize that there is a big difference between full sun in zone 4 and full sun in zone 7. Zone 7 heat is usually more extreme than in zone 4. I may have a plant that thrives in full sun and in your zone it may wither and die unless it gets shade part of the day. Also, some plants are extremely sensitive to their eco-environment. You may find plants that are rated for your growing zone, but if their native habitat is dry and yours is wet, you'll probably run into some problems. How do you know? This is something you learn by experience or ask your friends (or DG members) what works for them. I tend to trust the advice of other gardeners more than I do most nursery staff. However, when you do find someone at a nursery who really knows what they are doing, they can offer invaluable advice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.