Variegated Rose of Sharon-pic

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I got this when it was just about 12 inches tall back in April 2006..now it is finally gonna hit the 2 foot tall mark!..it grows slow for me here...

Thumbnail by Moodene

Full pic of the plant in my weeds which keep my soil moist...

Thumbnail by Moodene
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice plant--a garden isn't a garden without a few weeds, right? ;)

I loved my weeds...in my flowerbeds..helps keeps the soil moist for me...lol...

Citra, FL

That is beautiful. Where did you get it?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Very pretty Nadine!

From a friend who gave it to me..He, Jerry Seymore who owns Jerry's Jungle in Houston, Texas...
I help out at the nursery sales 3 time a year for him.. He has a website- www.jerrysjungle.com

Editing for spelling..

This message was edited Aug 4, 2006 5:45 PM

Citra, FL

Thanks, Moodene. I checked his website and didnt see where he sells anything. His gardens look lovely, tho. Do you know if he sells online? I would dearly love a piece of that variegated Rose of Sharon.

I do not know that answer...I do know that he will answer his e-mails...might take some time cuz his wife has Parkingson's....maybe one day I will beable to do cuttings off mine...lol...

Citra, FL

Moodene, I will be first in line for cuttings!

LOLOL..I bet...

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Nadine, I got one in trade, boy they sure are slow! but very beautiful, so worth the wait. I'm glad you posted it blooming, now I know that color rose to plant next to it! lol

I'm surprised it bloomed being so small. maybe mine will bloom also.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice Nadine! I am still loving all of my plants from Jerrys-
Say- I am will to volunteer for the next sale if need.
A tiny Hibiscus cutting I brought back from Kauai- bloomed the first flower today-..It was about a two inch long cutting.
rj

Citra, FL

Does anyone know what the name of this hibiscus is so I can surf the internet to look for it? Im total fixated on it, I HAVE to HAVE IT!

Hibiscus syriacus 'Purpureus Variegatus' maybe this will help ya out...

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh Moodene, a weed is something that grows where you don't want it to. You don't have weeds, you utilize an environmentally friendly, organic, resource conserving, living green layer mulch technique! Quick, write to Martha. You'll be a trend setter.

LOL...I have been using weeds in my flowerbeds for a long time...most of these die back down...until next year...

Citra, FL

Well, Moodene, I just dont know....Im checking the web, and all the sites Im finding for this says this particular cultivar is grown for the foliage and the small flowers dont hardly open at all. Now yours is GORGEOUS with fully opened flowers. Do you have some mutant alien strain of this or something??

This one has been blooming its head off...lol..must be my piggy poop tea I feed all my plant with...lol
Bloomed this morning!!

sorry don't know how it got on here twice..

This message was edited Aug 6, 2006 11:01 AM

This one has been blooming its head off...lol..must be my piggy poop tea I feed all my plants with...lol
Bloomed this morning!!

Thumbnail by Moodene

Well I made lairs outta anybody who says the flower doesn't open at all...lol..
Pic of the bloom..

Thumbnail by Moodene
Citra, FL

Moodene, that is just gorgeous......uh, where exactly did you say you lived?? (donning my black outfit with stealth sneaks...)

Citra, FL

http://www.robsplants.com/plants/HibisPV.php

This is the info Im finding for your plant, Moodene, and as you can see its really not nearly as nice as yours. Waaaaahhh, I want it!

LOL...that plant's variegated style is different from mine...from my point of view...lol...

clicking on the link Halo provided made me remember that whoever gave me the plant told me the flowers were supposed to be a dark purple.
Moodene, on closer inpection, I'm thinking that yours and the one shown on the link are slightly different. I hope mine blooms so I can post a pic and we can make a little progress on this mystery

saw this on ebay today but when I posted link it didn't work. If you're interested, go on ebay and search for var. rose of sharon. I think i till get you there.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2006 2:35 PM

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I have Rose of Sharon everywhere, but nothing like that. It's a beauty.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I've been working on a Variegated RofS for a few years now.
I am going to release it as soon as I get a good enough growing stock.

A few odd things....it starts pure green in Spring then increasingly variegates.......the flowers open all the way.....it is fertile and comes true to seed about 5% of the time.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah and it is WHITE!
Not just white but absolutely pure WHITE

I have named it's cultivar 'Drake's Tribute' after our late gardening buddy our Collie Drake.
Ric

This message was edited Aug 8, 2006 9:04 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Citra, FL

Vossner, the ebay auction is for the same type plant that I found in my searches, with double dark maroon flowers. Not near as pretty as our wonderful generous bud Moodene who will SOON be taking cuttings and making some new babies, right???

Ric, cant wait to see how your white ROS develops. Sure looks good.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Henry, that's a very special RoS.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Ric, that's beautiful. Keep us posted when it is released. I would love to purchase one.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Quote from henryr10 :
I've been working on a Variegated RofS for a few years now.
I am going to release it as soon as I get a good enough growing stock.

A few odd things....it starts pure green in Spring then increasingly variegates.......the flowers open all the way.....it is fertile and comes true to seed about 5% of the time.

Ric

Did you make any progress?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Bump due to time stamp issues

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Curious as to what makes ROS a tender perrenial? I've got twenty year old ones in my 7a garden and have seen them way north of me. Mine have been buried in snow and covered with ice. Are variegated varieties less hardy? By definition, tender perennials are frost sensitive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.