where to post this guy in Bugfiles?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I got this great shot of this wasp, he didnt seem to mind either.
I would like to add him to the bug files.

Could one of you insect experts post the info needed to ID this guy?

I was actually trying to get the bigger wasp, which I thing is a dubber.
I'll keep trying for him, but he has a comfort zone! And so do I!

Thanks for your knowledge!!

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I don't know what kind of wasp this is, but that's a great picture. How can you get so close? I try to keep as far away from wasps as possible.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I get about 2-5 inches from the insect with the "super macro" set on my camera.

Believe me I am very jumpy with some of them. I'm allergic.
But this guy REALLY didnt mind to have the camera stuck close to him.

The mud dubber (at least that is what I originally was trying to get) has eyes that see me move in with the camera and he comes at me as well. I just dont swatt. they go their own way sooner or later. They are just as curious as I am.

I dont know if he is looking for prey or getting pollen. My guess is prey. (?)

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Jenbrink, looks like a potter's wasp... http://bugguide.net/node/view/32193/bgimage http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/347/

I have found these for the first time this year and their little pots are so neat. I even found a "pot" in my grill on the grate several weeks ago. I removed it because I was about to start the grill and have it on the counter in the kitchen. I still have not taken a pic to add to plantfiles, but need to.

I have found that these and mud dauber's don't seem aggressive. I had a mud dauber crawl on my foot the other day. I had stepped in the grass adjusting my tripod for bird pictures and soon after felt something tickle my foot. I lifted it a bit before I knew what it was and immediately set it back down. He just kept crawling across the top of my foot and back into the grass. He went about his business crawling along the ground inspecting for dirt. I got some good pics of him on the camera at home.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you sweezel (and thanks for correcting my spelling for the mud dauber!)
I'll have to read up on this guy.

Thanks again.

I'll post my potter's picture from the link you created.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.