Llama manure

Dodge City, KS

I am new to this forum. does anyone have any good words for me about llama poop? do I have to compost it first or can I just use the pellets?Also how much to use? I have a bed to work over as it seems to have lost all it's oomph.

Denver, CO

The best manure you can have, in my nearly-scientific opinion:
Go 1 part llama to 3 parts soil. (a happy medium) It will be overly fertile the first season for a certain few plants, but the organic matter is truly needed. If this is an established bed, scratch myebe 1/2 inch in around all of the plants with a trowel/hand claw. So that it doesn't go oomphless again, topdress with compost or mulch yearly.
Hope this helps,
K. James

Dodge City, KS

Thanks for the reply, however you did not say if I can use it straight from the pile or do I have to compost it first?

Denver, CO

My apologies.
It is safest to compost it, but If you have a mix of fresh/rotten (which is usually the case) it can be added directly to your bed- water in well. If it is all fresh, compost it with a (small) bit of sawdust, leaves, or newspaper shedding.
Is your bed curerntly occupied with plants, or is it a seasonal bed that is open?
K

Dodge City, KS

It's a mix. The bed currently has plants, I had planned to just go around the plants and add the manure plus some rotten sawdust and some compost and dig it in. Do you think I should dig the plants first? Mostly day lilies, I could heel them in my vege garden while this brew cooks a little. It's just so darn hot now I hate to think of digging anything. Where is Clifton,Co I live in Dodge City

Denver, CO

Mix it in around them like you plan. You are right that moving is dangerous now. Then topdress/mulch.
Clifton is next to Grand Junction, Far western CO.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.