Can perinneal vines in containers overwinter outside?

Grand Rapids, MI

I live in Michigan, zone 5 and have a second story south-facing deck that is covered with a pergola. I would like to plant honeysuckle, Silver Lace vine and/or Akebia in whiskey barrels to provide shade. Is there a way to keep these plants in the barrels over winter? Or would it hurt the vines to cut them back in the fall and move the barrels inside the garage? (If I do that I'm afraid it will take half the summer to get them covering the pergola again.) I'm hoping for some kind of green cover that can make our hot deck usable all summer.

Thanks!
Bogwalker

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

As long as you "winterize" them (keep the pots and plants warm enough) you should be fine. Try it, see what happens!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Bog walker, the garage is the best place, most likely. The temps will not fluctuate as much as leaving them on the deck. Also I would guess you best success will come from using vines that grow in a zone or two above yours. If you are in 5 you should have no problems with vines or perennials that grow into 4. Good luck, gardening is always a learning experience.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.