Thursday, Aug 3, 2006

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Morning everyone. Well it is almost 10:00 here. I feel like I have already had a full day. I woke up at 4:30, still dark outside so I took the puppies (OK, Not really puppies Doodle is 5 and Picabo is 8) we sat on the deck and watched the sun come up. Watched it as well as you can, we are so deep in the woods that it comes up an hour later here. LOL

When DH got up we went for our morning walk, about 4 miles. We caught up with a neighbor who power walks every morning. I hadn't visited with her for a while so I just left DH with his coffee and took off with her. Really a good morning workout for an old lady like me. Stopped by a neighbors to raid her vegetable garden, fresh veggies for dinner and a nice juicy tomato to eat on the way home. LOL

Several of my Brugs were not getting enough water so I ran a new water line for them. Well by then it was 8:00 Sat on the deck and read for about thirty minutes, then painted the mail box so I could put new numbers on it. Ain't life fun??? LOL

I have had my Mother staying with me for the past week, she is in bad health and needs a little pampering once in a while. She still wants to live on her own. I have taken her car away from her while it is so hot. I took her home last night before I realized that my Night blooming Cereus was going to bloom last night, she would have enjoyed that. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/634951/

Well didn't mean to ramble for so long. Time for a shower and plop down in the swing on the deck to read a little more of that book. Hope everyone has a good day.

Betty

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 10:55 AM

Thumbnail by picabo
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Good Morning Everyone!!!

Getting up at 6 AM I was little later than usual. We had the morning chores and breakfast completed by 9 and afterward I watered all the plants. Oops I left 2 water hose running, I better go turn them off.

Bob's gone to town for a while so I thought I would get caught up at DG. I'm trying to repair a Weed Whacker, therefore started a thread asking for assistance in the HandyMan Forum, but so far only one reply and that was to refer me to the parts website which I had already checked and found the part was no longer available. I figure if I can get it off, I'll take it to the repair shop in Corinthi to see if I can get a generic replacement part, sometimes it's possible, other times it's not.

The predicted high for today is 99F with a Heat Index of 105, no clouds in sight.

Judy

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Isn't life just grand !!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Yep!!! I've got 6 Angel's Trumpets (brugmansias) blooming, ALL pink, 2 rose bushes, again both pink, 5 Hibiscus with 2 flowers each either wine or pink plus lots of odds and ends in bloom.

Moving on.....

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

This is the part that I'm trying to get off the weed whacker, you will note it is notched therefore I'm thinking I need a special tool, anyone know?

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Some of the plants that are blooming today.........

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Judy - those are just gorgeous!! Do you have your Brugs planted in the ground? I keep thinking I'm going to try that. The one I have is 6' tall at least and in a large pot, but it hasn't bloomed at all this year. And it stays stressed, I'm sure, because it never gets enough water, even tho' I water it once a day.

I was reading a thread here recently where someone said they lived in our zone and had put theirs in the ground and that they would do better. I'm just concerned that they will overwinter here. What do you think?
Karen

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow! Everyone gets up so early! If I don't have to be at work, there is no way I see 6:00 a.m., unless it's as I go to bed. ;-)
There sure are some pretty flowers blooming out there.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm stuck in the house with a 6 yr. Someone shoot me!

P

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Judy... Your flowers are so beautiful... Now for your weedeater, Not a clue how to take it off. I have taken mine apart, but mine looks totally different. Sorry

babybluesntn...This is the first time I have left a brug in the ground overwinter. It did make it, but we had a mild winter here. I had it planted in a bad place and it has become overgrown with day lilies. It's also where I don't water and the Brugs love their water. It hasn't bloomed yet but is growing. If you do leave one in the ground I would really pile on the mulch.

Betty

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

bigred...We childproofed our house but they still get in. LOL

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Betty - you are too too funny. Thanks for the laugh. :-)

bigred - could be worse, you could be trapped in the house with two 6 year olds. :-) Don't you wish that we still got naps?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

babybluesntn - go to this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/628192/ and look at my 7/27 entry/pictures and then read the other postings.

I now have 14 in the ground and they are staying there this winter. I will however take cuttings as backups if I really like the plant, just in case we have a hard winter. From reading old postings in the brug forum, plus my own experience, I believe if a brug is in a pot it needs to have the size upgraded every year, minimum, because they get root bound and can't absorb enough water to maintain their foliage through the day. The alternative is to pull them out of the pot, hack off some roots, add fresh soil, and trim the branches so the amount of roots left will be able to support the plant. I'm having to water my potted brugs at least 2 per day ..... 3 times today with high winds and 99F. I went out at 3 PM and found that several had laid down/wilted.

BigRed - start giggling, it confuses them. lol lol

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

www.walmart.com Photo Center is running a promotion. If you sign up for an account (they may have given their existing customers the same deal) they will give you 10 FREE 1-hour prints to be picked up at the store near you. You don't have to buy anything!! I uploaded some plant pictures earlier and ordered the prints, so I know they were free.

Judy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

It's still here! Her papaw says it's my own fault for getting started feeding it. Once you feed them they keep coming back.

Don't let the cute face and big smile fool ya. We don't call it Demon Seed for nothing.

Thumbnail by bigred
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

How darling!!! She is a CUTIE!!! To whom does she belong?

Please start a new thread for today.... copy of the above and post her picture.

Judy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

She's my daughter's youngest.

P

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

You can tell she has you wrapped around her little finger!!!

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.