Insanity or Death Wish?

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Ok......so my DH went out and saw this early one morning on our deck..........

Thumbnail by dovebydesign
Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

yes it is a bottle of sevin and a baby praying mantis......

Thumbnail by dovebydesign
Marysville, WA

DOVEBYDESIGN,
I am guessing the latter, and did you grant his wish??

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

NO! ....it was so cute.........I had the sevin out for the Japanese Beetles on my Sandcherry bush and my geraniums. :)

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I think it is illegal to purposely kill a preying mantis.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree bolino!!!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I think that's generally known. Funny picture!

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes, I believe it is illegal here to kill a praying mantis....they are endangered? or some such thing and here they are rare to see, I think they also kill many insects. I usually do not kill insects at all, it is just the Japanese Beetles have no preditors here. I have been doing some research into beneficial nemotodes to kill them. Apparantly there is something you can put on your lawn to kill them that takes 3 applications for 2 years and then it kills just the larvea (sp?) or grubs? of Japanese Beetles in your lawn. But of course there is always the neighbours......

Dove, I did beneficial nematodes too, and I'd like to try Milky Spore. But, as you say, if the neighbors aren't also treating, it doesn't do nearly as much good. When I was a kid my town treated with Milky Spore, and we didn't have JBs for 15 years. Amazing.

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow........now what is Milky Spore??????

I wish that we could just do that for the whole country.....everyone at once and then they would be gone for a while......

Ha ha! You haven't seen the price on Milky Spore, I see. :) Yeah, that would be wonderful... I can dream, anyway.

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

ok...what is milky spore......

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

ummm...I googled it and now I know......this is the thing that I was thinking of spreading on my lawn, the feed store here had just told me about it and I thought it was nemotodes not a bacteria. So now I know. It may cost a bit but I think of the long term benefits and it seems worth it. I just wish my neighbours would think so too!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I got this link from Snopes, interesting but not quite informative enough for me. I wouldnt kill them anyway they eat so many bugs and look so cool. I think I have about 6 of them running around my gardens right now.

I have to say, those pictures had me lauging so hard, along with that caption. My kids were wondering what was so funny.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis2.htm

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

My DH wanted me to call it the "Ultimate spirit of competition".......tehehehehehehe.

Butler, PA(Zone 5b)

That would be a great title dove!
There is a lot of information on Milky Spore out there. This one had some good descriptive information: http://homeharvest.com/milkspore.html

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

I think we are going to do the milky spore. I just need to know if I am not doing 3 applications this year (only 2) then 3 next will I have to do 1 more the following year or a whole other year of 3 applications? It is not clear on the sites.

.....susan dove
dovebydesign

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.