Let us consider LETTUCE in Southeast Texas?.........or not?.

Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

I love salads of all sorts and most especially leaf style lettuce. I have tried for the last two years direct seeding and even transplants. I have had very limited success in any shape for or fashion. Direct seeding must be the best method and for goodness sakes I found out the hard way that you NEVER..........NEVER............COVER UP THEM DARN SEEDS if you want many to germinate.

I felt so stupid when found when I read a seed pack that you had to leave the seeds open to the sunlight. I have tried many, many types of lettuce based on their specific characteristics listed. I have many more types on hand to try, but so far Royal Oak Leaf Lettuce seems to be the very best even in this heat and humidity.

Royal Oak Leaf Lettuce as far as eating is superb. It cleans up well and stays very fresh. I will keep trying more as I finally have found where lettuce prefers to live in my garden and post my findings. However, having said all this does anyone have any suggestions that might help or save me a lot of time.

Thanks,
Tomatomaniac

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Jericho. It's a romaine and does better with heat than most. I also like Loma. Lettuce doesn't really like southern summers!

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm trying a bunch from The Cook's Garden : http://www.cooksgarden.com/lettuce.asp?dept=1015&lvl=1060 -- I've got them under 50% shade cloth and under an arched bean trellis. Here's a link with the pictures: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/623820/ . I have to remember to plant every 7-10 days because it goes from feast to fathom. I tend to plant a too big of area all at once.

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

The first Loma I "discovered" was in the Cooks Garden Summer mix! I grow all of mine in greenhouse with evaporative cooler now.

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

GGAZ - I assume you have shade cloth on your GH, too? The evap. cooler a great idea but don't think they're as effective in high humidity zones. Probably drops the temp a good 10-20 degrees in the arid SW?

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I use shade cloth part of the year and some places. Have peaches that shade one section and a plastic cover that they no longer make over one section. When it gives up the ghost, I'll shade cloth that area in summer. The cooler and shade works well for alot of green things but many of the orientals and spinach are not easily fooled. Many lettuces do well all year out there and the herbs love it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.